Silly Bergers

Why should that matter? As long as the incinerator is not generating its own pollution (such as heavy metals) the it's win-win.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message <s6lvia$s0t$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Davey snipped-for-privacy@example.invalid writes

AIUI, not ''biodegradeable', but 'flushable'.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Just had a look at a few - every single one I checked said "Do not flush", but some also said "biodegradable". But I am pretty sure some say "flushable" despite it being folly to do so.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Flushable is also a misleading term that was/is used by manufacturers of such products. It just means that if you place it in the toilet bowl it will disappear when you flush the toilet. There have been a few TV programs that show such products stay intact for weeks or months after being put in water.

There may be a perception problem with some products. I have seen wet toilet wipes - to wipe your arse the comfortable way using soothing Aloe Vera etc. The small print on the package actually says not to flush them down the toilet pan but I guess many people using such a product and after covering it in shit would just automatically dispose of it in the bowl.

Reply to
alan_m

which is why I have a basin for washing next to the toilet - and no wet wipes...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The sewer tunnel under the Seine is like a giant U bend. It is always full of liquid.

Reply to
nightjar

How come the solids and sediment don't collect at the lowest point and block it ?

Reply to
Andrew

I never knew that. I wonder if they ever have to clean it for sediment.

Reply to
newshound

That is why they send the big wooden ball through. It is a very close fit to the sewer and, besides scraping all the walls at once, it pushes any debris ahead of it.

Reply to
nightjar

As I said, they send a big wooden ball though as required. It is a very close fit to the sewer and simply pushes everything ahead of it. A very clever piece of Victorian era engineering.

Reply to
nightjar

Many of the Fatbergs come from Takeaways / restaurants running without grease traps

Reply to
rick

It is, therefore, obvious that such establishments (whether takeaways, sit-ins, food factories, or whatever else) should conform to grease trap requirements before they open. And become responsible for failure to do so.

Getting back to an earlier point, if we know the fat is coming from such places, then the positioning of sensors (of whatever sort) should be fairly obvious.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google