Silicone and shower screen

I was watching a video clip and they recommend to silicone on the external side of the shower screen and not both sides as water could get trapped, ok I understand that. I would have thought however to silicone just the internal side and not the external side of the screen as that would prevent any water getting under the glass screen.

Am I missing something?

Reply to
ss

I think the idea is that while either will work, it saves having a bead of silicone in the shower where its harder to keep clean, and more likely to be degraded by repeated cleaning etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

And instead leaves a gap under the screen that is impossible to clean and just perfect for growing mould

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most of the screen instructions specify that the frame should be bedded on a bead of sealant. So there will be no gap under. They are just talking about omitting a fillet of it between wall and frame on the inside.

Reply to
John Rumm

The way I think of it is that the silicone seal *will* definitely fail at some time. It might take a year, or it might take ten. But when it fails, water *will* end up in the frame and/or around the screen.

So, given that water *will* be there, it's better that it can freely drain out into the shower tray, rather than onto the floor outside of the tray.

So seal the outside.

Reply to
David

Never has with me

After nearly 20 years

Classic example of good logic from a bad assumption

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hasn?t with me either.

After 45 years in my case. I did use the high end branded stuff tho.

No assumption so much.

Reply to
jeikppkywk

Excellent. Well done to both of you :)

Reply to
David

No, well done the manufacturers for providing as stable product that does not degrade over time

Their only mistake was to fail to inform you of this.

We have. There is now no excuse.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, the thing is, I don't know whether any water has ever entered any of the shower screens I've sealed.

I've always followed the manufacturers' instructions and sealed the external side, so if any water has entered the frame, it has run harmlessly straight out again into the shower tray or bath... I assume ;-)

Reply to
David