silicon instead of pva?

Hi I am building up some furniture and I have run out of pva glue would it be ok to use silicon sealant instead as I have a spare tube of it?

Thanks Tracy

Reply to
Tracy

Maybe, if the joint you need is wanted to be able to be relatively easily peeled apart. Silicone does stick quite well to bare wood, but isn't really suitable as a general purpose construction adhesive. With properly prepared joints of an adequate dimension, it could work fine - for example, it does hold fishtanks together. A PVA'd joint will often fail due to the wood breaking, a siliconed one will always fail at teh joint.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Hi I should have mentioned it is just for the dowels, it is MFI build it yourself bedroom furniture. Tracy

Reply to
Tracy

The message from "Tracy" contains these words:

No. It's not as strong and it's floppy.

Reply to
Guy King

In message , Tracy writes

ITYM silicone...

You must be using way too much glue if you've run out. IME there's always loads left over after assembling flatpack stuff. You only need a dab in the hole, not on the dowel.

My last MFI job resulted in at least 2 spare tubes of PVA, not to mention around 55 pieces of corrugated cardboard.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

I wouldn't but it's up to you, silicone doesn't work as adhesive in many situations...it will work sticking two flat surfaces together, IE tiles onto board, but not holding dowelling in a hole.

Reply to
Phil L

In that case, absolutely not. Dowels can be under quite a lot of stress, and you really need something slightly decent, like PVA.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Are you sure those weren't the drawer bottoms?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nice one. Quite stiff cardboard though, but nothing compared to the stuff our new TV was packed in.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Peter,

I have been trying desperately to find pva glue. I am in the US. Can you tell me a website from which I might be able to order it? Much appreciated. I am trying to restore an antique bed with chipping veneer.

Eileen

Peter Twydell wrote:

Reply to
eileenfp

Something like Titebond should be readily available there.

Reply to
John Rumm

Its probably called carpenters white glue, or aliphatic...thats generally a more expensive and slightly better mixture.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

PVA is also called Elmer's or white glue. Wood glue / yellow pva would also be fine.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Any builders merchant, stationers, diy shed or kids stuff shop will sell pva. If you need it right now the chances are you've got some pva glue sitting at home called white glue, paper glue (white version of only), or you could even use a gluestick which are pva or pvp.

NT

Reply to
meow2222