Silent trailing edge dimmer/bulb compatibility

and how much is a theatre dimmer compaired to a dimmer you'd use in the home ? I know theatre have curtain closing too but you don't ofent see them in the average home.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The lights have their own built in dimmer

but you can buy them - with dawn/dusk sensors too.

Reply to
charles

Leaves plenty to dim it from an on state.

No shit, Sherlock?

Eh?

Are you wanting to discuss dimming a low voltage DC driven LED or one on AC mains?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The pro dimmers used on portable film LED lighting I've seen are PWM. This allows a good fade up and fade down. But then they didn't used LEDs designed as a replacement for ordinary tungsten mains lamps.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

exactly thats why they start dimming from an on state rarther than an off state like leading edge dimmers do.

Apparenty although the last time I was at a theartre they were using rhosstates for dimming lights 25+ years ago so I think they were just in series with the mains.

yeah Eh dimming using a trailing edge is more difficult/expensive than a leading edge.

Both. Why not.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Rheostats (in series with the mains) ceased being mainstream for theatre use around 60 years ago. I certainly met a remote controlled lighting system in 1959.

Reply to
charles

God you talk some rubbish.

Reply to
tabbypurr

There's many ways to dim an LED some work better than others.

Reply to
whisky-dave