Silcone sheet or similar

I am looking for a small amount of highly flexible, springy sheet material - c. 20 cm x 10 cm x 3 mm. Silicone sheet would be fine, as would the semi-foam plastic they use in insoles.

Any ideas on what to use and where to get it?

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
Nick Maclaren

You can get heatproof Silicone rubber baking trays. Just the ticket to locate and destroy one of these I suspect. This sort of thing:

Occasionaly seen cheap in LIDL/ALDI.

+++++++++++

Or how about high quality butyl pond lining from a garden centre?

Vortex3

Silicone isn't exactly springy. However it's heat-resistant and easily available from cookery shops as biscuit baking sheets. Lidl had it a while ago, for their usual cheap prices.

Plastazote is also worth a look. It's a dense mechanically-blown foam. Cheap in A4 or A3 sheets from craft shops, Hobbyworld etc.

Neoprene (wetsuit) offcuts are cheap from bigger dive shops, and Evo-stik 528 will laminate it into blocks.

For other foams, such as closed-cell polyethylene or dense neoprene (good packing foams) then talk to a commercial foam processor. They'll sell to anyone, in any thickness, but minimum order is usually an entire

8x4 sheet of 2" thick, sliced however you want it.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

In article , Andy Dingley writes: |> |> >I am looking for a small amount of highly flexible, springy sheet |> >material - c. 20 cm x 10 cm x 3 mm. Silicone sheet would be fine, |> >as would the semi-foam plastic they use in insoles. |> |> Silicone isn't exactly springy. However it's heat-resistant and easily |> available from cookery shops as biscuit baking sheets. Lidl had it a |> while ago, for their usual cheap prices.

It depends on the type - but the baking sheet stuff wouldn't be flexible and springy enough, I agree.

|> Plastazote is also worth a look. It's a dense mechanically-blown foam. |> Cheap in A4 or A3 sheets from craft shops, Hobbyworld etc. |>

|> Neoprene (wetsuit) offcuts are cheap from bigger dive shops, and |> Evo-stik 528 will laminate it into blocks.

Thanks very much. Those sound useful ideas.

|> For other foams, such as closed-cell polyethylene or dense neoprene |> (good packing foams) then talk to a commercial foam processor. They'll |> sell to anyone, in any thickness, but minimum order is usually an entire |> 8x4 sheet of 2" thick, sliced however you want it.

Yes, I had got that far! I just want to make two boot instep pads and, if suitable, some bathtap washers. Don't ask, in either case :-)

Regards, Nick Maclaren.

Reply to
Nick Maclaren

Well I would wonder over to DSA orthotics as they make insteps and stuff like that.

0121 557 4204 if you want to ask if they will do a bit for you.

I am customer BTW and have no other interest.

Reply to
dennis

Or, for ready-made shoe/foot "things", Cosyfeet:

similarly - only a customer, no other interest.

Reply to
Rod

================================================= You might consider 'Sorbothane' for the instep pads. It's a close match in texture and feel for human flesh.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

My local lidl (NW london) has some nice big silicone baking trays left.

The large one cut in half covers both the bottoms of my double oven.

I'd agree that sorbothane, is the best stuff for insoles.

Contact your local friendly chiropodist who might be able to advise you where to get a sheet of the stuff.

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic