Sharp sheet metal screws overhead.

This is not exactly on the topic of "home", but it covers the "repair" part. I have an older Chevy station wagon. I've owned it for years, and it runs well. The problem is that the headliner was constantly falling down. I've fixed it at least once a week for the past few years, and I finally had enough of it falling on my head and blocking my view to the rear. Today I ripped it out completely. Last week I removed the cloth. I planned to only remove the cloth and leave the foam base, but that foam was covered with a brown sticky material that continued to fall and make a big mess on everything. After a drive, my clothing would be covered with this filth. So, I just removed everything right down the bare metal. Aside from the dome lights falling down (which I screwed to the roof braces), everything went well, and I cant say that the bare ceiling is really ugly. It's painted and looks much better than that damn rag ceiling hanging all the time. The only other problem was the wires going to the dome lights hung down, but duct tape fixed that.

Here's the only remaining problem. The chrome roof trim was put on with sheet metal screws. The points of these screws are sticking out of the tin, above the rear seat. I dont want someone to scrape their head on these sharp screws. What can I put over them so they are not sharp points?

Yeah, I thought of small blocks of wood. I also thought of a blob of silicone on each screw, but that would likely drip off before drying.

I'm looking more for something like CAP NUTS, which are made for bolts, but not for sheet metal screws (as far as I know). Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks LM

Reply to
letterman

-snip-

Rubber cap nuts. about .25 each at the borg- about 4cents apiece at mcmaster.com - these might be long- but you'll have 100 and they cut easily- 9753K13

Put a drop of silicone on them- slide on and be done with them.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I'd like to congratulate the OP. For keeping their older vehicle going. And using a very practical zero headliner solution. And since otherwise the vehicle works safely, well done. All this planned obsolescence and being pressured to get a new vehicle every few years is obscene overuse of the planets resources. IMHO. We had/have the same problem with a nearly 40 year old sail boat which we are personally renovating, headliner, the foam deteriorated and the headliner fell down. We will replace it because the fiberglass ceiling is scratchy. But there is stuff to be reattached through the deck first. In 2002 we bought a new vehicle (medium size pickup 6 cylinder) for a small business operation. It is now our personal vehicle. It came with a number of (as far as we are concerned) unnecessary options. Dealer said vehicle couldn't be delivered without them! If and when any of them break down, our intention is to just disable them. We have never used cruise control (it can also be dangerous on icy roads), air conditioning is here only required a few days a year, while it works we use it occasionally to clear dampness off the windows/windshield. The CD feature of the radio AFIK has never been used and the only radio feature we use is to monitor one local station. And since we keep the radio turned low so as to hear traffic and especially emergency vehicle sirens, the rest of the 'audio' and its several speakers is pointless! the most important speaker is the one nearest the driver anyway. We also wish there were tie down hooks on the 'outside' of the box. Those stupid little hooks (only 4 of them) inside are not that strong and hard to find when the box is, as right, now full of garbage! Anyway on my way to the dump. Nice to see practical people tackling a practical problem as above. Now if the vehicle were a little more economical! So we only drive as necessary.

Reply to
terry

How about some of that pretty pink 1/2" foam sheeting ?? Jerry PS put old head liner cloth back on if you still have it.

Jerry - OHIO

try wire nuts

Reply to
beecrofter