Sigh....propelling pencil for marking up? Which size lead?

tc=IA3&ds_kid=92700022885064117&ds_rl=1248184&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1247848&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtZzWBRD2ARIsAIPenY2KOea_7wLE59JwRqhoCD6Lkt6OGj5EIqh8CkrKu0hW9ormuSY_KRAaAhZzEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIaSjK- OptoCFUVsGwodb40CrA

Yep - those were the pencils and that was the sharpener.

Last pencil came apart and the sharpener is buggered.

Which lead (see what I did there?) directly to this topic.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

rical statement

so to be clear I did not say there was no such version. I correctly stated that I did not recall such a version. I thought that was the case, but sinc e this is so utterly trivial did not go and check.

all versions of windows ran like that at least as far as Me.

and?

You sure do get excited about remembering a trivial fact once in a blue moo n.

It doesn't change the fact that those early versions of win were not in any realistic sense usable. They were products that pretty much no-one bought because they were, at that time, nothing more than gimmicks that we knew mi ght grow into something usable one day in the distant future.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

So, you don't remember the network Fax server that I installed that was serving 30+ people, 24/7 and running on Windows on an Olivetti 286 wasn't fully 'functional' I'm guessing?

You probably don't remember one of my beta testers coming into my office and shaking my hand because he was so impressed how easy / efficient the Network Fax Server was and how much time it would save him, FAXing all our international distributors and bigger customers?

I don't remember you having any real experience / understanding of Windows.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

No, I wasn't there

No, I wasn't there and didn't meet your beta testers.

I did get to play with the early versions, but we didn't regard them as usa ble. A 286 or 386 has very limited cpu speed & ram, splitting that over 4 a pps plus a minimal OS made the machines hopelessly slow. I don't doubt that someone's mileage varied, but for us they were only gimmicks.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Which is what I used to use before I got a sharpener. One issue is that the quality of these pencils varies quite a lot; some are relatively easy to sharpen, in others the wood "binds" and the lead snaps.

Reply to
newshound

Thought not.

Thought not.

Except they were, for a lot of people.

Or not (comparatively).

Phew.

Compared with what at the time?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not quite correct.

MS ran two parallel Windows products for a while. There was the DOS-based family, which started of with Windows 2 or something silly - and yes, it really did run on a '286, but wouldn't IIRC run any programs not specially written for it - and went through the well-known Windows

3.1, 95, 98 and ME. I may have missed one or two.

In parallel was Windows NT. This was a re-write from the ground up using a microkernel, and was really solid at first. It was also portable, running on Dec Alpha and Intel Itanium to my personal knowledge.

The reliability took a hit when they forced a 9x-style windows manager onto it.

This is the product that became the Windows we know today.

BTW my carpenter's pencils are rectangular. But I have had them a long time.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yes I was thinking only of win-dos, not win-nt. There was windows 1 as well . 1, 2, 3.0, 3.1, 3.11, 3.2 in Chinese only IIRC, 95, 98, Me. And unofficia l hybrids of 95/98/Me were rarely encountered. And I once had a lappie that was an odd hybrid of 3.1 & 95, but called itself 95. I gather this was an upgrade available before 95 released, it looked on the surface like 95 but was clearly a lot less developed.

FWIW there were also never released versions of 95 such as Windows 93 & Chi cago with no net browser, but they were both stages of evolution that ended up as 95.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I find the bench grinder or bench belt sander the best tools for sharpening workshop pencils.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike