Sidney Poitier

I was a teenager when I watched "The Defiant Ones". Thereafter I knew that any picture madee with him was goint tyo be watchable.

Yesterday, by chance I saw most of two of his films. Superb.

When I told my wife she said "He died today".

The film world is dfiminished by his passing.

Reply to
pinnerite

In the Heat of the Night Sticks in my mind as a superb piece of flim making and acting

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1

Also - not quite sure how they did it - but every time I've watched it I've felt as if I was in the deep south.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I felt that without Rod Steiger's counterbalance it might not have had the same impact.

Reply to
pinnerite

+2
Reply to
ARW

Did he not run into some criticism about the relationships in To Sir With Love? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Not him but the film. He danced with a female student.

On 09/01/2022 08:36, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Reply to
ARW

Masterpiece. And Steiger too.

Reply to
newshound

Did you know there was one state that he considered too dangerous to visit for many years both before and after. Alabama, I think.

Reply to
newshound

Agreed. The way you discover he was not quite the ignorant red-neck that he first appears to be is a delight.

Reply to
newshound

A lot of racist ignorant red necks are just playing it up for their mates.

The sheriff that killed the 3 civil rights workers in 1964 ended up working for a black man who he said "was better than any white boss".

And googling Daryl Davis - a black man who attends KKK rallies and is best mates with a grand wizard - only serves to further complicate the mix.

That said, when I was in Louisiana in the 90s, there was some confusion when I was asking about bars in town. I thought I had seen 4, but the guys in the office could only name 3. When I described where the other one was they all said "but that's a ****** joint". And that was that.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Did I say otherwise?

Both characters were believable and sympathetically portrayed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

'Guess who's coming to dinner' with Spencer Tracy.

Reply to
sid

Good in that too, but Kath and Spence really made it.

Reply to
newshound

Take a look at "Night People" to see Broderick Crawford doing the same thing with his character. Brilliant - both of them.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able