Shower V wife, I know I am correct.

Ah but was the setting "control" actually connected to anything? Other than perhaps a nice digital display with 0.1 degrees resolution labled "Set Temperature".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You have a combi boiler with a timer for HW?

Reply to
ARW

I've had two. And the WB one is using it's own brand plug in timer. Just like with the old system boilers, you can't have CH on and HW off. But you can have all off (very cheap) or HW only on. In the normal setting HW on means that it keeps a small local heat store warm to provide relatively instant HW. And my old Firebird one circulated this to the heat exchanger when HW was on. I don't know if the WB does. But the WB has an ECO setting which means it doesn't come on at all unless there is HW flow. Which probably makes the timer off position redundant, except for stopping anyone in the house wasting hot water in the middle of the night. But it is there for those of us who want it, and the relevant terminals are available on the boiler PCB.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

My Grant (oil-fired) combi, like yours, has a timer for the hot water, and a small local heat store.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Oh yes, it definitely worked. Not like the optimistically labelled "Heating Control" knobs found in railway compartments of yesteryear.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I think all women are like that.

Reply to
Huge

Or car heater/ AC/Climate controls. Anyone know if those vehicles that have individual settings of things assigned to a key fob include those controls and can they be overridden from the cabin controls? My missus is forever fiddling with them, just cannot comprehend that putting the fan on max isn't going to produce more heat if the engine has just been started.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Or even within the first 5 miles if it is a diesel Fiesta!

Thread drift alert... can car aircon be used to warm the cabin or is this only on upmarket stuff?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

what would be the point of that?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Save me shivering for the first 5 miles!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Thats what heated seats are for Tim. :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, and it uses dry air. That is the advanage of air-con in winter.

Reply to
charles

On our Nissan air conditioning, part of the air conditioning is being able to setting the required temperature. If the car is cold the air conditioning will warm the car to what ever temperature you have set.

Reply to
Martin

In message , Martin writes

Ah! Is that by reverse cycling the refrigerant system or using engine coolant?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Heated seats are doubleplusgood and have been getting a work out recently.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Some high end diesels have a diesel fueled heater to add to the heat or lack of it from the engine.

Dare I drift it in the direction of how electric cars handle this ? Get stuck in sub zero temperatures for hours due to snow, accident, etc at least those who keep their tanks fairly full as recommended before commencing journeys in such conditions have the ability to keep warm for quite a few hours , even using heat pumps using the heater in an electric will be depleting the battery. Last thing you want after being delayed for 6 hours or so is the need to stop at the next services for a charge to get you home and taking your turn in the queue for the charge point amongst all the other EV drivers who are in the same position.

Perhaps seperate fossil fuel heaters like those made by Eberspacher will become a popular accessory.

Warm dry air that can demist the inside of the screen very quickly and keep it and the inside of the other windows that way. Also drying one selves and clothing out after being caught in an open boat in a thunderstorm,quick drive for an hour and we were comfortable again.

Aircon doesn't automatically mean Air Cold . using it in winter tends to keep it functional as well ,those who only use it to cool in hotter conditions may find seals have dried out and the refrigerant has leaked

As others have noted elsewhere in the thread heated seats are a nice to have , still doesn't stop the missus fiddling with the aircon and heater controls though.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I don't know I treat it as black box, but I am sure it uses heat from the engine.

Reply to
Martin

Nissan recommend running airco at least once a week to prevent this happening.

Reply to
Martin

All the ones I've seen use engine coolant for heat, and only use the refrigerant to cool.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I am not aware of any terminals on the WB PCB that would allow you to use an external timer to control the preheat.

It seems that only the WB plug in timer will do the job. Although it's probably hackable.

A pity really - as the ability to time the preheat (other than having to buy an expensive own made brand plug in timer) is a good idea.

I cannot remember which brand of boiler I wired up that did have a preheat timer. This was ISTR built in and not a plug in addition.

When helping my parents choose a new boiler for their holiday apartment I persuaded them to go for the preheat. Obviously it is turned off when the apartment is empty and timed would not make a lot of difference in this case.

Reply to
ARW