Shower pumps noise

Looking at fitting a shower pump to beat the hell out of me when I'm in the shower... ;-)

Problem is , the obvious place is in the cupboard that houses the hot water tank...which is in one of my kids' bedrooms

I see a lot of the pumps claim to have "quiet operation" - question is, how quiet is quiet? Anyone any experience here?

T/

Reply to
Tony Wood

Not sure either of the two I have had were labelled quiet but they were/are bl**dy noisy. Suspect "quiet" ones are just noisy. Lot of trouble to go to to avoid a noisy shower pump but we built an extension and moved the child :o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Get a venturis shower. High mains pressure showers and no expensive noisy pump.

Reply to
IMM

I stood my shower pump on 4 thick pile of carpet and lined the airing cupboard wall where the pump is with more carpet offcuts. Keeps the noise down to an acceptable level.

My mate, whose airing cuboard is in the main bedroom, has his shower pump encased in a wooden box lined with polystyrene on a shelf, to keep the noise down.

Reply to
Ian Middleton

We have one in our hot water tank cupboard in our bedroom. We mounted it on a polystyrene ceiling tile, on top of a rubber mat which cut down the noise to less than that of a hairdryer. I can sleep through it no trouble (as did our baby).

The plumbers originally mounted it on the floorboards, directly above a joist..... I suspect you could hear it at the far end of the terrace :-). It's fine now.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Portalski

Polystyrene has the acoustic qualities of rice paper.

Reply to
IMM