shower board

Got a motorhome i built, and for the shower i bought some vinyl faced ply to make the walls out of, this needed silicone sealant at the joins, which i covered with some of that bath seal on a roll.

problem is we get wide temperature fluctuations in the van, today is was 35 degrees in there, and hence the tape and sealant likes to pull away from the joints every so often, and i'm sure the vibration and inevitable movement from driving over englands silky smooth (not) roads dosent help.

been told there's some shower boards that have some special interlocking seam kit to make a totally waterproof shower cubicle, and B&Q&Q&Q do it,

but searching their crappy site, but getting nowhere.

anyone know of this stuff? i'm imaging it's a plastic sheet type material with some joiners for the corners, i have 3 x 90 degree corners and 2 x 45 degree corners... hoping for the 45 degree corners i can score the back and bend it), it's a square tray with a corner missing to make an angle where the shower gear goes, it's not a large shower cubicle, prolly a meter and a half square, this is in a motorhome... some of the factory built ones have what looks like a foot square cubicle... not designed to be used, just to bump the price up by boasting a shower on the spec list :)

Reply to
gazz

Have a gander at

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "gazz" saying something like:

I've decided to retire my Tranny (not a builder) and make use of the ShiteOldJapaneseCar for general lugging around of tools, etc. This leaves me with a low-mileage LWB HR van to convert into a motorhome over a couple of years. Any websites you'd recommend for hints, tips, things to avoid, etc? I'd though of gutting a small caravan for the fittings, to start with.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Well, even tho i fell out with them big time a few years back, the self build motor caravanners club is a great site

lots of people do the caravan thing for bits, others buy second hand bits from ebay and other people,

there's a couple of places that do all the bits you'll need... o'learys motorhomes in beverly, and magnums motorhomes in grimsby, theres also franks caravans, but not sure where they are, they buy up all the stock from when motorhome makers change models, and nowadays when they do bankrupt,

i got most of my stuff from magnums, but the cost soon adds up, just be warned the prices for 'leisure' accessories and equipment can be feckin stupid, but if you want to put em into comparison, go to a boat chandlers and see their prices, especialy for the exact same items sold in caravan shops.

oh, and dont build a shower cubicle out of that shitty vinyl coated ply and use silicone seams,

i'm talking to a company that does that spray in bed liner stuff atm, they've done motorhome shower trays before... when they get cracked to replace some of em is near a grand... then you have the hassle of getting the old un out, so they repair the trays and then spray em in the bed liner stuff, never be a problem again, so hopefully they can coat my entire shower cubicle in the stuff and make it into a single piece item like i origionaly wanted. (went to buy the one piece shower unit, but it had been dammaged, couldent afford a new one at 1500 quid, and couldent get another 'end of line' one in time as it had to be put in the van before the side alli sheet went on, as it's far to big to go thru the door)

Reply to
gazz

For showers, build it out of anything then simply line it with glass mat and resin.

You can use body filler sanded down to make it acceptably smooth.

Or if you fancy it, mould it over a built up plug with a white gel coat first.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "gazz" saying something like:

Cheers for all that, I'll have a look, ta.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon