Shorter low energy BC than a Walnut whip?

I think I would use the 15W ones behind the glass domes for effect, and use additional illumination to bring the overall room lighting up to the desired level.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ah, cheers ..

Any idea what diameter the 28W one would be please Andrew?

I don't suppose anything (within reason) under the fan lampwise would affect the overall aerodynamics of the fan itself .. maybe I could use the glass bowl to mould a 'shroud' to go over the 2D lamp and use a perspex diffuser underneath (if needed)?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

This is a ceiling fan with one central frosted (or translucent somehow) 'bowl' Owain?

The 60W tungsten fits vertically up into a brass BC lampholder then the glass bowl fits over that, (gently) secured by 3 thumbscews onto a flange on the glass.

Any CF we can actually get through the mouth of the bowl has ended up too long (and fouls the glass before the glass can be secured) hence alternatives we being considered.

During the day the largish South facing window provides sufficient light to to do most things by, then at dusk the curtians close on their own a 5 mins after that a CF comes on (it's one of those long thin ones and lays on some foil on a top shelf in the corner of the room) and that provides sufficient light for 'evenings' (TV viewing, eating etc).

If you wanted to read or work on something detailed you *might* need the 'top light' and the 60W in there is 'sufficient', but given the option could be brighter (It's put on when we want 'light').

At the same time the fan is a godsend in the summer (South facing room) so I don't want to compromise the efficiency (aerodynamics) of that by putting summat underneath that would be too disruptive (the existing bowl seems to have been designed with this in mind)?

So, the only practical choices that have come up so far are:

1) Find a CF ~60W that would fit 2) Drop the bowl to allow a std CF to fit 3) See if I can rework the guts to raise the lampholder 4) Do a redesign using say a 2D and make a new 'bowl' (I could use that translucent plastic / card they make some shades from nowdays)

I suppose I could put lights elsewhere but this is just in the right place to do a good job even with a low energy bulb, one we get past a couple of obsticles ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m