Shipping container base structure?

I'm thinking of getting a shipping container for temporary storage and making a base with some railway sleepers. Google images doesn't seem to have any pictures of the underside of a container so I don't know what to expect.

The sleepers I have are about 8ft long, and the container is 8ft 6 wide and 20ft long.

Is there any suitable longitudinal structure under a container away from the edge so that I can fit the sleepers crossways every four or five feet or will I have to run them longways down each edge?

Reply to
Mike

A friend asked me if he can add an overflow to a bathtub in a trailer home. Many of these trailer bathtubs never had an overflow, which I am aware. His elderly mother has memory loss and is constantly overflowing the tub in her trailer. I suggested just replacing the tub with a standard one from a house, but she's got little income. I considered trying to find a used one, but it turns out her tub is quite a bit shorter and much lower than the regular ones. That is also common in trailer houses. (I guess people who live in trailers are smaller) :) To change to a standard tub would require ripping apart the whole bathroom, and the water heater behind the tub would not likely fit afterwards. These trailers just dont have enough room.

Anyhow, her tub is either made of thin steel coated with porcelin, or some sort of material like a fiberglass. I cant seem to tell and will have to take off the panel under it to see for sure. If I had a magnet when I was there I could have seen if it was steel too.

Anyhow, the thought is to cut a hole and install an overflow, but I already know the pipes will need to be shortened on the overflow, and the overflow will have to be placed almost at the top edge of the tub or it wont hold much water.

Has anyone ever cut one of these tubs? I'm most worried about the porcelin chipping off. Any tips to cut the hole?

But I have another thought. Does anyone make any kind of sensor that shuts off the water when it gets to a preset level? That would be a much simpler method than cutting a hole and then trying to pipe it under the trailer (pain in the butt working under them).

Thanks for all help.

Reply to
jw

Mike wibbled on Tuesday 08 December 2009 17:21

I'm not an expert on containers, but looking at how they mount to a lorry, I suspect you'll want primary support under the lockdown points and additional support along the edges of the frame - ie sleepers all along the edges as you suggested second. Some of the base is going to be just skin, so don't think there's much point in putting sleepers there unless you know where the internal framing is.

The 20' container I'm renting (in the yard down the road, not my garden) just sits directly on flat concrete and the floor structure is about 4" thick, though that is an insulated container - others may have thinner walls.

Reply to
Tim W

I hired on of these: we did nothing special. A few scaffolding planks laid crossways IIRC.

Unless you are using a forklift to get it up again, no base is strictly necessary.

If its going to be there a year or more, by all means shove down some transverse sleepers: It will at least reduce low level corrosion a bit..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

same as rest of it - corrugated steel, with a thick ply floor for forktrucks etc..

what's the purpose of the base? if only temp storage the delivery truck will (i expect) be able to reverse the drop-off procedure whether a base is there or not... worth a call?

cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

Shipping containers are immensely strong. I use a 20ft for secure garden storage and a 40ft for field storage. If you have good and firm ground, all you need is a decent hardwood sleeper centred & levelled beneath the twistlock sockets. On soft ground a simple foundation might be recommended. Intermediaries if you wish, but not required. IIRC the things can withstand

8G without buckling. Make all level, otherwise the doors can be a pig to close & secure. The width of a container is 8ft / 2.44m, this is set in stone.
connection, just Googled.

If you use good hardwood sleepers they, and the container, will last you out. Providing of course that said container is in decent nick at the outset. For security, manufacture a lockbox for security. Not an ad but I have a few containers for sale. They really are fantastic safe garden, or site storage. 3m-12m. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

shipping container for temporary storage and

stone.http://www.sjonescontainers.co.uk/dimensions.htm> No connection, just Googled.

where are you/they?

JimK

Reply to
JimK

Why on earth do you want to support the base? They aren't supported in use they are just stacked or fixed via the "feet". You'll need to spread the load from them and I'd also keep a free flow of air underneath as well to keep it as dry as possible.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave Liquorice wibbled on Wednesday 09 December 2009 09:39

I'd read that as one of the reasons the OP was asking.

Reply to
Tim W