stiffening a structure

I have a 20' x 12' deck, attached to the house with a 20' ledger board. The opposite (long) side is up on four 3' posts. Needless to say, if I push along the 20' axis, there is significant movement back and forth.

I can run diagonal bracing from the bottom of the posts up to the inside of the ring, along the outer 20' dimension. What other approaches can I use to stiffen up the structure?

I plan to use lattice along the bottom front, fashioned in some manner to let it swing outward - in order to allow access underneath the deck for storage. So the diagonal bracing isn't the best solution for me.

- The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

Reply to
Jack

What is Swaying, The posts or deck joints. Reinforce the weak link. your deck should not sway. Remember the deck collapes in CHICAGO ? Your Deck support must be solid, or it may fail under weight. I think your supports and construction are a stupid joke, fix them , before you kill people.....call a pro,. or better yet , the city inspector... Someone Was a REAL HACK, If it was You get Pro Advise and follow it, Either way you screwed up, by cheaping out

Reply to
mark Ransley

This is a good solution, and if it fits the structure under you deck, will stiffen the deck very well.

Rick

Reply to
Java Man (Espressopithecus)

The reason I suggested a pair of 16 footers was that I solved for the hypotenuse and thought the OP might have trouble finding a 24 footer and getting it home by himself. A pair of 2 byes in a vee shape should handle his problem quite well.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia