Scaffold tower around structure

Hi

I need to get access above a structure. I have a scaffold tower (the type with long sections and short sections you push on top of each other). Ideally I would have the first 2 or 3 layers in a U shape (i.e. no long side at the back) and then above that as normal with all four sides. This would enable me to work around the structure and get close enough to the wall.

Would this be stable enough?

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leen...

I am having trouble visualising how you would get vertical support on a level with one side missing. I think two scaffold towers are needed at ground level, one each side of your structure. Then when you get above it, you could create a central tower joining them. _____ I___I ____I___I____ I___I I___I I___I I___I I___I I___I

Reply to
Colin Bignell

His idea just extends that by filling in one side as well.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hmm The ASCII art didn't work out too well did it?

With the sort of tower scaffold he is describing, I can't see how. You need to build it in rectangles, one long piece long by one short piece wide. Otherwise, there is no vertical support for at least part of the next level. Hence my suggestion of two towers, supporting a third one joining them, once they get high enough.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Thanks for your replies both. So thanks to you I have realised the flaw in my plan and was being a bit dozy. I was actually had in my mind that each layer would be 2 short sides joined by a long side to form a U shaped. Clearly they don't fit together like that :) So in order to achieve what I had in mind I would have to build the first few layers of just short sides and then build the rest of the tower as normal hoping that the rectangular structure above will keep the longer legs in place. I guess it would be a bit like doing it normally but with the short sides on the first row and then 3 times as high. If you see what i mean.

Reply to
leen...

I did consider that, but thought it would result in an unstable structure, far too prone to sideways movement. It might work if you have some heavy duty cable ties that could be used to attach a long piece or two to form your U shape, but without being them slotted into the level below. However, I would think this is really a job for proper scaffold or a hired cherry picker.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Cherry picker is definitely the right tool for the job. I only have to drill a few holes and fit 2 brackets so only up there an hour or so. Having said that of course it only takes seconds to fall off a dodgy structure. I have some bars that you put across at the top to give an all round handrail. I am thinking I could fit a couple of those to create the U shape at least they should stop the horizontal movement at the front. Maybe some experiments needed at the weekend 🙂

Reply to
leen...