Shelving

Hi All,
Following an inredibly frustrating and unsuccessfull search I need your help.
I am trying to find decent shelving at a reasonable price. All the normal high street DIY stores only offer poor quality 15mm thick chipboard laminate. Some time ago i found 20mm chipboard laminate in homebase which is excellent - this has been discontinued unfortunatley.
does anyone know where I could find a reasonable stock of decent shelving ? (they type that sits on top of the metal brackets that slot into metal frames attached to the wall)
Thanks for your help in advance
regards
mark
Buy plywood from a timber merchant. It's much more rigid than chipboard. Comes in a great variety of grades and thicknesses. Sawn edges require no further finishing, over the staining/painting you do to the rest of it.

It can also be supplied with a laminated veneer in a chosen hardwood. For a nicer edge finish, strips of hardwood can be glued to the front edge.
Andy Hall wrote:

that sounds good - where would i get it from ?
is it stable, that is, does it warp when in centrally heated house ?
regards
mark

Here's one example
http://www.silverman.co.uk/products/vb01.php
There are several others that could be found using Google. Otherwise, if you find a reasonable timber stockist (not DIY store or typical builder's merchant) they will be able to obtain it for you. James Latham is another example.
All sorts of things are available. Ordering through a local timber supplier might be and advantage if you have no means to cut the panels. Usually the large suppliers will deliver 2440x1220 sheets and that's it.
Generally plywood is very stable.

Look up timber merchants in yellow pages, phone/go see what they have.

Cheapest grades is used by builders for temporary work, probably warped before you buy it.
Good stuff will be the best option all round - probably about 40 for a 1.2 by 2.4 metre sheet in 18mm. Red ply is mostly tropical hardwood, but is excellent. As is birch ply, which I think is mostly Siberian birch. Larger suppliers will have 25mm and thicker ply as well - if your brackets can take the weight.
I promise you'll never consider chipboard for shelving again.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Pine wood is not that much dearer at the wood yard,theyll even cut it to lenght for you. A piece of 7"x3/4 will probably be about 65p a foot
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Soffit board or just call it pine board if you can't see a bit of what you fancy and just point at it. The problem with that is that it will cup or curve as it dries. It needs a couple of slots routed underneath to check that.
A simple enough job with a small circular saw.
Barge board is bigger and wider and window board is the same thickness but made of MDF, nicely rounded though.
Then there are stair strings if you can find a supplier and after that, a visit to a timber yard might find you some very fine oddments for not a lot more.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Try IKEA if you have one nearby. They have a very good range at very good prices.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

it depends what you want. half inch ply is much tougher than chip, and is good stability wise. Plain 3/4 redwood is nicer for shalves that arent too deep, and whats it called for deeper ones - pine cut into strips and glued together. All these are of much higher quality than veneered chip.
NT

========================Apart from all the other suggestions you might look at B&Q's new range of 18mm contiboard in maple, beech etc. It's quite a bit stronger than the standard 15mm board. It cuts cleanly with a pull saw.
Cic.
It has removed 106 spam emails to date.