Shed base on sloping patio

Hi, can anyone tell me the best way to build a shed on a sloping patio. the slope is not too steep perhaps a drop of about 4 inches over 14ft

Reply to
kf1313

Regrettably, if you cannot figure out the answer to your own question you are probably not the best person to build a shed. Get someone else to do it for you.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Just get some galvanised spurs used to support pergola posts and use and SD drill to drill through the patio at the four corners of the shed base and bed them on some mortar so that they are all level and exactly square then build your shed on these.

Reply to
Andrew

What kind of base does the shed have? Does it already have a floor, and does it have bearer timbers?

Reply to
John Rumm

I disagree. Few people are born with an innate ability to plan projects and use tools. This might be a very good excuse for the OP - for example, to buy an angle grinder and learn how to use it safely.

Reply to
Robin

I doubt if the average shed base can be only supported on the corners so a frame to support the shed base would be required. Depending on the size of the shed additional supports for the frame may be needed mid point and/or under the interior of the shed.

Reply to
alan_m

A decent spirit level would probably be the first thing to buy. Time to visit the car boot sale.

Reply to
Andrew

The last car boot sale that I visited the initial prices quoted for tools was that close to that wanted by Toolsatan/Screwfix for new items.

I blame certain TV programs for raising peoples expectations on what they can get for their crap. Add a TV camera, a celebrity or two, pretend its for a good cause and/or get an "EXPERT" to value what has been purchased and suddenly you have junk worth 10 times what it cost new.

Reply to
alan_m

Regrettably, if you can't manage a better answer than that, you are in the wrong newsgroup.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hence my question about the floor as it currently stands.

If its battened in one direction, then making some tapered counter battens out of tannalised timber would probably be the easiest solution.

Reply to
John Rumm

That was my thought and make additional bearers to match the ground.

Another thought was to make his own bearers going 90degs to the ones on the shed floor, again tapered according to ground level.

I'm not sure why anyone would need an angle grinder?

Reply to
Fredxx

To grind the angles?

Reply to
alan_m

Yes - there are some adjustable pads you can get which will allow you to tweak it over quite a range (and you can buy pads from shim to quite tall - like a foot or so).

Or if you want to be cheap, custom trim some pressure treated lumber.

Here:

I've used those - or one very similar and they are extremely strong.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's so helpful...

Reply to
Tim Watts

It depends so much on what the patio is made of, and what the shed uses for a floor as well. I've seen them on shuttered concrete so the level is, um level, but also some using bricks and cement. the latter tend to crack due to frost and water though. The main thing though is to decide if the concrete or slabs are firm and what you want to use the shed for. There really is not enough info about the base in existence or the shed to comment further. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

To start with, to cut bricks or blocks to the right thickness to act as piers at intervals under bearers.

After that, the opportunities to use them just seem to seem to arise

Reply to
Robin

It doesn't. (I think)

OP said "can anyone tell me the best way to build a shed on a sloping patio"

I'm no expert, but I'm not sure that slope is enough to change the techniques very much. Shuttering all round, then pour concrete?

(after suitable preparation, hardcore, etc)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yup, I have done that, and it quite an effective way to get a level set of wooden bearers on an uneven surface:

John Rumm

None of us have any connection with the site you're using.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not enough info. Do you mean "build a shed from scratch" or "put up a bought shed kit"? And what sort of floor will it have?

Reply to
newshound