Shaving - is foam necessary?

In my case, i've had the same problem with a Braun curved foil style, but also a Philips triple head jobbie.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I'm rather partial to the Mach 3 blades (not tried any of the newer and even more expensive cash cows yet).

The difference between the Mach 3 and other triple blade razors seems to be a combination of factors - the actual blade "depth" is longer, and the pivot point is quite far forward, but lightly sprung - such that it's hard to put too much pressure on accidentally.

DO NOT try the Morrisons triple blade clone unless you want to look like a victom of Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of (wherever it was)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

May well be down to your skin texture as well. Anything that sticks up i= n the way of blade is not likely to last long, an electric razor is a litt= le more discriminating.

What one uses to shave is a personal choice with what you can get on wit= h that produces an acceptable result. I expect a decent quality electric razor may produce good results but =A350 to =A3100 buys an awfull lot of= Gillete GII disposables...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Care to share the "recipe" ? - stuff like baby oil is a little too heavy / viscous in my experience...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

In message , Colin Wilson writes

WD40 - it seems to work for everything else

... and an angle grinder, which is a compulsory tool in such circumstances

Reply to
geoff

It seems reasonable to me that since with an electric razor you are always a foil thickness away from the blade, then the only solution is to press hard, forcing little lumps of skin through the mesh where the blade takes the surface along with any bristle that may or may not get through. Try removing a beard with an electric and you will see the futility.

Reply to
Jim S

The too-expensive Fusion blade has one excellent factor, making it worth the money - the single blade on the back. Under the nose and the dimple on the chin are stubble free for the first time since the disappearance of the cut-throat. As for the vibrator - well try shaving one side with and one with = no difference. And while I'm ranting: why do they have machinery to make different blades for power and non-power, where the only difference seems to be the colour (and price of course)

Reply to
Jim S

I suppose a little caustic soda might make the skin surface a little slippery too (as it dissolves...)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

A quick google for "shaving cream hydroxide" does show that both potassium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide are common ingredients in shaving soaps...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

The message from Jim S contains these words:

I don't think your reasoning takes account of the Philishave "lift and cut" action which many people find is actually less irritating that that of foil-type razors. Sensitive sikin does TEND to do better with Philishaves -- which is very different from saying that Philishaves never cause irritation. Just that on average they cause less irritation than other methods of hair removal.

Reply to
Appin

Ok, here goes. It might not have been uk.d-i-y as it happens, but from various discussions on either here or elsewhere. Anyway:

to Grapeseed oil (as a cheap neutral base), add:

1% rosemary oil 1% tea tree oil 1% lavender oil

I seem to have c> Now, are you *sure* it wasn't alt.frugal.living :-P

Could have been, heh. I don't mind paying proper money for many things. I do object to paying an X*100% markup for a very simple product.

HTH j^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Absolutely. For starters surely the safety blade was the one with only one sharp edge, and a folded metal strip along the opposite edge. Much loved for modelmaking and also for chopping certain crystalline substances up into fine powder .... ahhhh, mmmmm, whooo!

Reply to
John Stumbles

John Stumbles wrote in

My understanding is that the safety blade is the double sided version. The "safety" bit is down to its not being a straight, open blade usually referred to as a "cut-throat".

Reply to
PeterMcC

No, in this context the double edged safety blade and holder is being compared to the other commonly used blade at that time, the open cut throat razor.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Correct.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Enter "History of shaving" in Google and take your pick.

Reply to
Jim S