Sewing machines

So MiL bought my wife an old re-conditioned sewing machine recently and today something went "ping" inside it... Thought I'd take it apart and have a look.

The good news is that I found a plastic pawl that seems to have slid off it's locating lugs so wasn't turning - the bad news is that I can't find out what will stop it doing it again... However for now wifeys happy.

I have to say that they are quite an intersting engineering feat. Evil mad genious engineer who designed them, or what. This machine is a small one, so semi portable (all folds up, etc.) I suspect it was the last generation of purely machanical ones too, but it can do zig-zag stitching, buttonholes, and who knows what else. The cogs and levers and other mechanicals inside are a sight to behold.

The down-side is that they have quite a high pingfukkit quotient.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Was in a sewing machine shop a few days ago - one man (owner and machine expert) and a woman (everything else!). He had a machine stripped down and was explaining lots of bits. Specifically warned me off most of it because, if you even open it up, you have to recailbrate everything in sight. And also showed what should be oild and/or ceaned and is accessible. What a very pelasant shop. Sewfine in Watford.

But amazing things. And yes, there are few that are not heavily computerised these days. There is one Bernina that is pretty mechanical (215, IIRC). And, um, ???

Rod

Reply to
polygonum

Recalibrate? Hm. Since this one came with a toolkit for taking it apart, I'm somewhat skeptical, (and inside there was nothing that could realistically be moved/changed anyway - to my untrained eye!) however...

And MiL appears to do all her own sewing machine servicing too (which amazes me as she's pretty hopeless with mechanicals in general!)

"Elna Lotus SP" - Seems to be Swiss...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Old purely machanical machines seldom break IMLE. New ones with plastic parts aren't nearly as robust. All mechanical ones are quite diy repairable, though finding parts is sometimes an issue.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Ah - the recalibrate was on most of the Bernina range of computerised machines. And that was the exact task he was performing on a customer's machine when we arrived. Quite possibly not true for the Elna.

The process seemed to include checking that the needle threader aligned perfecty and the needle itself stopped in the right vertical position, etc.

Partner guessed the model from your brief description.

Reply to
polygonum

Not as bad as electro-mechanical calculators:

Jules Richardson

Yes, always fascinated me too, there is an old singer treadle machine in my spare bedroom looking for a home. The basic mechanics have been around for years. The originator must indeed have been very clever. No plastic in this one!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No but those are no longer needed, so who the heck would use one except for historical reasons that is. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Or mechanical cipher machines

showed up in the local pub with one of those t'other week

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Bernina mechanical-only pattern sewing machines eg the old 7 series also required calibration

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I have a few old cast iron Singers - two are in working condition, the others are kept for spare parts. When my daughter started to learn to sew, I bought her an old machine at a house-clearing sale - it didn't work, so was very cheap. After stripping it down, cleaning, oiling and adjusting, it worked beautifully - and still does, 20 years later.

Reply to
S Viemeister