Seventeenth edition

If not Photoshop will rasterise any PDF page, then save as GIF or whatever and proceed from there. For such a large document though you'll have an awful lot of manual editing to do...

Reply to
Andy Wade

Not a bad idea actually.... you can create actions or droplets in PS to automate that bit.

Oh, in fact - Extract - Images as TIFF in Acrobat (full version, not reader) seems to do it for you.

Probably true...

Reply to
John Rumm

OK, not in a garage, but I have seen this done... An aquaintance works as a secretary in an office. I saw that she had at home a roll of perhaps 5m of cable with a plug at both ends. Horrified, I asked what it was for. "it's to make the photocopier work". Apparently, when the office electrical system had its last periodic inspection, one circuit was disconnected because it was deemed unsafe. So to get around this problem, she constructed this extension lead to go from one side of the office to the other, plugging the "extension" into the same double socket outlet as the photocopier.

When asked if she thought it could be dangerous she replied, "No, no. I take it home with me every weekend so the cleaner won't have an accident." It turns out she had been electricuted twice already by this contraption.

Perhaps public information films or something is a better idea to stop these things from happening than more regulation?

Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 16:24:24 +0000 someone who may be John Rumm wrote this:-

These regulations aren't written in isolation, but rather those involved are aware of what is going on. I have no doubt that manufacturers have had long discussions with the IET in order that what they currently produce will comply with the new regulations, perhaps with some small changes.

Reply to
David Hansen

!

What's zone 3?

Come to that, what are zones 0, 1 and 2?

Have I missed something?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Where have you been? ;-)

2 and 3 tell you what can go in each zone. The last three pages show how to work out where they start and stop.

Reply to
John Rumm

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 21:55:51 -0000 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

There are also drawings on the packets of some lights in large tin sheds. Beware, many of these drawings are incorrect, as they show a zone around basins that does not exist.

A change to the wiring regulations in about 2000.

Reply to
David Hansen

Obviously not in the bathroom!

The whole thing is very interesting, thank you. It does seem to make common sense complicated ...

Spouse has always done electrical and plumbing work with these safety precautions, for more than thirty years. Mind you, he was trained by my godfather, a master plumber who cared about safety and good work but not about rules.

I'm wondering about 'wet rooms'. As I understand it water is everywhere in those, do they not have lights?

I'm going to send this to Spouse (his pc is downstairs before you think he's escaped - although right now he has, to return the extractor fan from the bathroom).

Thanks again,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Good job we don't buy lights in sheds then :-)

Apparently. That's the trouble with diy, you don't HAVE to keep up with things for the sake of your employment so whether you'd like to or not you might miss something.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You need to use an appropriate type of light fitting. Have a look at table 1 of the document. IPX7 fittings can be totally immersed if required. For your average wet room IPX5 would be more common though, installed in Zone 3.

Reply to
John Rumm

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Very handy for wheelchair users though. And Mum's doesn't get mopped out each time, it just drains into the floor and that's an end to it.

Reply to
Guy King

You could get a dog.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Unless you have a steep slope there's going to be debris which doesn't drain away.

And what about wet from the wheels when leaving the room? That was one problem in the one I saw. When going in shoes got wet from the wet floor. They left wet tracks when leaving the room.

There might be special cases when a wet room would be better than other solutions but for general family use I don't think I could be convinced.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Mum seems to manage. It isn't terribly steep and water from the wheels doesn't seem to be an issue either. Perhaps she just takes a few minutes to dry off.

Reply to
Guy King

Contrary wise ... that's the beauty of this newsgroup ... advising folks of what's current/coming!

I've now postponed purchase of the 'regs' until the 'Seventeenth Edition' .... if I'd have bought one from Borders/Waterstone (whatever) I'd doubt they'd have advised 'Keep yer money, Mate ... there's a new edition soon!"

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Yebut it seems I'm six years out of date.

What's more, I asked Spouse what Zones in bathrooms were. He looked at me from his perch at the top of the big steps as though he was joining the rest of you around here in thinking that I'd lost the plot and said he hadn't the faintest idea.

I'm going to mail him the url given earlier. He'll say that's what he's done since the year dot anyway, I know, but it will give him a bit of pleasure to be right.

Yet again :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm glad it'll be a red cover. I'll be able to update my 16th Ed. with a letraset 7 over the 6...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

See

the DPC[1] will cost GBP50. However there is a useful free summary here
is what it says about bathrooms, confirming that sockets will be allowed (but only 3m horizontally beyond the boundary of zone 1):

The following major changes are incorporated in Part 7:

Section 701 Locations containing a bath tub or shower basin. Zone 3 is no longer defined.

Each circuit in the special location must have 30 mA RCD protection.

Supplementary bonding is no longer required providing the installation has main bonding in accordance with Chapter 41.

This section now allows socket-outlets (other than SELV and shaver supply units to BS EN 60742) to be installed in locations containing a bath or shower 3m horizontally beyond the boundary of zone 1.

[1] That's draft for public comment, not damp proof course :-)
Reply to
Andy Wade