Semi OT: Why Glyphosate will be banned

Ooops, I better cut down then ... ;-(

Cheers! T i m

p.s. I have never actually been 'a drinker', hardly ever do into a pub or bar and only been properly drunk a couple of times in my (nearly)

60 years.

Pre ulcer I was known to enjoy the odd can of Special Brew, Colt 45, Breaker and latterly, Kestrel Super. ;-)

Maybe I should have read the instructions:

"A beer for sipping, possibly from a wine glass - and certainly one for sharing."

Now it's just the odd can of the '4 for a pound' from the supermarkets. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Of course I know that you fathead. Those bacteria provide us with some of our B-vitamins. Vitamin C we get from citrus fruits and also from fresh meat. You want vitamin C? Eat dog or goat, they produce a lot.

What's this about loose teeth? Why would they be loose? Any way all children lose a set of teeth, it's perfectly normal.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Very true, Chris. In fact, the alcohol will do the damage before the Glyphosate will. But, here we go again; Beers and wines were a good form of preservation of the foods they are made of. They are 'brewed' to produce a culture that replenishes our gut stock in times of deep winters. As is(was), real jams, real soft(very low alcohol) drinks, real cake, real cheese and, others that don't come to mind. None of these were contaminated.

The small amount of alcohol in such preserves as wine and malt beers, has recently been found to clear the lining of the arteries and veins of fatty products.

Today's drinks such as say, Dandelion & Burdock, will have none of the plant in it, nor will it have a culture within. So, what gives it it's taste and colour? And, as a food, what value does it have? And it's so ready available and so easy to brew and, it's value is manyfold.

Which brings me to tea. Though it is said rarely, tea is one of the very few reasons mankind could live in such dense populations as we do now. Without tea and, in spite of those that think modern medicines is the reason, you would be subject to many ailments. It contributes everything that you body needs including most the bacteria, most the minerals, etc. that your body needs. Studies done in Cnanda have shown that there is very little missing. More than that, there is virtually nothing in it that your body doesn't want. Which means, very little waste.

So, when you have heard me state that plant matter is very closely symbiotic with humans, it is for reasons like this tea and, other plant brews.

You will find it under the name Kombucha. 10 days to make. Ingredients: tea, water and sugar and a few ideal conditions regarding contamination and containers. The first brew I ever made was unbelievably tasty. I was lucky, I tried in the last few years and never quite got it right again. Plus, my cultures get weaker and weaker when for many others it is the reverse.

Anyway, I drank half a pint and after 15 minutes the change was noticeable. Because the body is getting something at no energy cost to the system and, because the tea does not need processing, it is put to immediate use. Because there is no waste product, the body does not lose energy remove the waste. Better still, the bacteria cleared the water of contaminants, your body has a half pint of uncontaminated water to use within the cells, immediately. Win win.

But, the tea brewers lost their way in this country and those before them were hung and burned as witches and wizards.

Be well, everyone.

Reply to
RayL12

Quite, or any number (within reason for that matter).

Great. ;-(

I'm glad I'm not working in 'The City' any more.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Two interesting statistics. Do you have a link, or are those numbers snatched out of the air? If the latter, what's the concentration of random statistics per cubic metre? :-)

Reply to
Chris Hogg
[drooling nonsense]

*plonk* (again)

Reply to
Huge

42 per square dodecahedron obviously.

"There are low levels of asbestos in the ambient air. 10-200 fibres in every cubic metre (1000L) = 0.01-0.2 f/L

A cubic metre is the amount of air typically breathed by a person every hour

A study of lung samples of urban dwellers showed asbestos fibres at a concentration of about 0.3 million fibres/gram of lung tissue"

Asbestos Health Risks

"?In the general population the risks of mesothelioma and lung cancer attributable to asbestos cannot be quantified reliably and probably are undetectably low.?

"Mesothelioma A formula by which the excess incidence of mesothelioma can be approximated has been derived by Peto. Fibre concentration, duration of exposure and time since first exposure are parameters incorporated in this model,which assumes a linear dose?response relationship. Peto verified this model from data on an urban population exposed for its whole life and on workers exposed for many decades. In both cases, duration of exposure is assumed to be equal or close to time since first exposure. The data show that the incidence of mesothelioma is proportional to the fibre concentration to which the workers were exposed and to time since first exposure for both workers and the general population. Starting from this relationship, one may calculate the risk of lifetime exposure to environmental concentrations from the incidence of mesothelioma in occupational populations exposed to much higher concentrations, but for a shorter time.

Several studies have been performed to calculate the risk of mesothelioma resulting from nonoccupational exposure to asbestos. Lifetime exposure to 100 F*/m3 has been estimated by various authors to carry differing degrees of mesothelioma risk. The risk estimates in Table 14 differ by a factor of 4. A ?best? estimate may be 2 × l0 ?5 for 100 F*/m3."

Air Quality Guidelines for Europe World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe Copenhagen WHO Regional Publications, European Series, No. 91 Second Edition

There is a general problem in that "particles" or "fibres" are measured using different techniques which yield significantly different counts. It isn't always clear how measurements were taken.

(See Methods for the Determination of Hazardous Substances Methods for the Determination of Hazardous Substances vol87 Fibres in air Guidance on the discrimination between fibre types in samples of airborne dust on filters using microscopy)

"We are all exposed to low levels of asbestos in the air. These "ambient" - or typical - air concentrations of asbestos fibers are

0.00001 to 0.0001 fibers per millilitre (fiber/mL). "
"The concentrations of asbestos fibers in outdoor air are highly variable, ranging from below 0.1 ng/m3 (equivalent to 3x10

-6 f/mL measured by phase contrast microscopy [PCM]) in rural areas to over 100 ng/m3 (3x10-3 PCM f/mL) near specific industrial sources such as asbestos mines. Typical concentrations are 1x10-5 PCM f/mL in rural areas and up to an order of magnitude higher in urban areas. "

The CDC "Toxicological Profile for Asbestos" at

contains 3MB of downloadable documentation if you have difficulty sleeping.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Many thanks.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

"which assumes a linear dose?response relationship"

And yet these days all the evidence is point towards non linear models as being more accurate.

'The relationship between people drowning is thought to be linear with the amount of water they are swimming in'

'a teaspoon of water is not safe' Greenpeace tells inquiry,. 'even a teaspoon of water can kill you. There is no safe level for water'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So why don't people drop dead when they take antibiotics?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

While I understand your point of view, scientifically we're closer to (most of) the plants in our gardens, both being eukaryotes.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Quite. AIUI even if your gut has been sterilised, e.g. prior to an operation, the gut bacteria slowly re-establish themselves naturally, or you can hasten their recovery by eating buckets of live yoghurt, or taking 'good bacteria' pills, e.g. acidophilus or whatever.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

As it was RayL 12 who originally suggested that humans and plant cells were similar, and your mate Turnip who suggested humans were closer to bacteria, I can't quite see why you chose to adress your snotty put down following Andy's correction to RayL 12, rather than to Turnip; to whom the correction was actually addressed.

michael adams

michael adams

And with which we share a substantial part of our DNA (25 - 50% depending on plant and information source). This is strong evidence that almost all living things (apart from bacteria and archaea?) have the same origin, because DNA is such a complex molecule that the probability of different life forms sharing big chunks of DNA but not having a common origin is as near zero as you can get.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The actual origin would have been common. But for some 2 billion years bacteria was all there was, in terms of life. At some point, a bacterium engulfed another, and instead of one or both dying, they learnt to live together. That gave an energy boost and the resulting cell could then evolve into larger multicellular things - both plants and animals. The mitochondria we have in each of our cells are the remnant of that. Bacteria can never grow larger or become multicellular and remain largely unchanged.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well I have to object to that. That is based on some assumptions that are unprovable.

Maybe there is only one arrangement of DNA that actually allows Carbon based lifeforms to actually exist. Or one arrangement that ruthlessly kills all the others.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No it wasn't. Look it up.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

If you don't already know it, 'Life Ascending' by Nick Lane, Profile Books, 2009*, is well worth reading, although it's a rapidly changing field, so knowledge may have advanced further by now.

    and
Chris Hogg

Ha, yes, I have three of his books. Hard going because there is a lot to retain as you read them, but well worth it. I just finished The Vital Question.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The area of the gut is thought to be the size of a tennis court and being in fluid, is a multi-layered 'bio-farmlands'. Thought to be 75% of all the worlds bacteria. What is fed to them will determine which cultures increase or decline.

Rubbing up against food particles is not enough to extract the nutrient of plants, it has to be processed. It is a living thing that processes it. And 'it' provides all that is needed by the body, if made able.

We are a part of the system that is an ever growing expanding soil. Nothing much more. By eating those things that have successfully come through attacks by other bacteria strains, we can 'vaccinate' our gut system.

Your gut really should be your first line of defence and, your best opportunity for well being.

Reply to
RayL12