semi-converting attic space to create mezzanine - pros and cons

Much in need of extra living space so looking at attic; roof however is fairly shallow pitch and hipped so 'proper' room and stairs are not possible. I'm looking at taking out half of the ceiling of the back first floor bedroom and building a platform accessed by a ladder. There is already a velux in the roof above the back bedroom. Building regs. seem to allow this to be done without escape and fire door provision provided at least half of the bedroom floor is visible from the platform above. Apart from the usual design, calculation and council costs I imagine materials would be fairly cheap - although as well as steel beams to support the roof I imagine the joists above the front room would need strengthening to take the weight of the platform floor. Is it worth it? I would really like the space but wonder if it is a lot of money and effort for relatively few sq.ft. Has anyone experience of doing this? Any advice welcome. Peter

Reply to
petermeakins

I'm not sure you will be allowed a *ladder* - you might get away with a pigeon-tread stair (offset treads).

Owain

Reply to
Owain