Selling a Meddings Driltru bench drill- advice sought please.

Selling a Meddings Driltru advice sought please.

Dear All,

I have a Meddings Driltru, 5 speed, 1/2" chuck, bench drill.

As it is 3 phase I have never used it so have decided to sell it.

It is in reasonable condition but will require some paint and switch modernising.

I have been offered =A340 for it by a workshop machine dealer. Does this sound reasonable?

Can anyone recommend a dealer preferably Bedfordshire, Herts or Cambs who may be interested in it?

Many thanks in advance!

Reply to
fourdrop

It sounds like an offer that's reasonable for a dealer, but still only a fraction of what it's worth to a purchaser. The sales are too different a context to be directly comparable. Maybe "dealer collects, no further sales effort needed" is worth the difference to you.

I'd eBay list it, buyer collects and pays cash. It will either sell or not, probably for more than this. Bench drills aren't hard to shift, as they'll go into a car. Also check the back of Model Engineer mag to see what most dealers charge for similar machines, from their showroom (it's a lot more than =A340!).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

May I suggest that you also post the question in the uk.rec.models.engineering newsgroup where they know about this sort of gubbins.

Reply to
Geo

I don't know your particular model - but I paid =A3200 on ebay for a single phase late 1980's Meddings bench drill in excellent condition.

Looking around at what other paid for similar Meddings - I got a bargain.

(and if anyone is shopping for one - Meddings reputation is well deserved - the quality vastly exceeds the no-name far-eastern bench drills)

Obviously you have to adjust for age, condition, being 3-phase, and the size & desirability of that model - but I would have thought it would fetch =A3100 on ebay.

Reply to
dom

I dont know what its value is, but 3 phase is a big issue, and affects resale values substantially.

NT

Reply to
NT

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk writes

I could come and fetch it for £75:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk presented the following explanation :

Harry Bloomfield

around now that it's easy to run 3 phase machinery.

I recognise the Meddings name - I suspect the Fobco I got is very much in the same mould. Lovely machine. I paid about =A380 on Ebay for it -

3 ph and with an inexpensive inverter I can run it variable speed without changing any belts.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Thanks all for the replies.

Yes thanks Harry..that's pretty similar!

I'm trying to avoid Ebay as much as possible as I generally find it a dispiriting experience...but if all else fails I may have to use it!

I am aware that a dealer would mark it up after sprucing it up!

You are welcome to come and fetch it Tim if you want it for =A375...whereabouts are you?

Cheers,

Nick

Reply to
fourdrop

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk writes

PM on way if your addy works.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Still not cheap though.

For a drill (which has little to gain from 3 phase) I'd swap the motor. It's unlikely to be difficult.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Message received...thanks Tim....am about to reply!

Thanks All!

Reply to
fourdrop