Self-lighting oven

I've got a New World Royale 600 gas cooker with a self-lighting oven - you turn the gas on and the sparker clicks away until the oven lights.

First, how's it do that then?

Second, it only works when it feels like it - about 7 times in 10. Any idea why?

Ta

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Hardly rocket science.

Flame sensor, igniter, knob position sensor or any cables or PCBs linking them, I'd think.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Probably not, but then I don't think tiling is rocket science, or earth bonding, or a lot of the questions asked here.

Thanks for that.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

You wouldn't want to bond a rocket to earth - that would defeat the object surely.

Reply to
Ric

Hehehe! Might as well though, for the good they do. Ah, but where would we be without pens wot write upside-down?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Do they work upside-down?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Pens are obsolete - you could use a laptop instead.

Reply to
Ric

Depends what the object is. If you'r testing it to see if it works properly, it can be a lot more convenient if it's tied down, so you can easily measure stuff, and you don't have to go and haul it out of the ocean afterwards.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

"Christian McArdle" wrote | > I've got a New World Royale 600 gas cooker with a self-lighting | > oven - you turn the gas on and the sparker clicks away until | > the oven lights. | > First, how's it do that then? | Hardly rocket science.

Presumably there must be a similar mechanism on rockets to ignite them? I can't see NASA sending out for some two-furra-pound gas lighters every time they want to do a launch.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Actually, thinking about it, I think it might be rocket science. If the thing didn't light when you started spewing fuel out of the end, it wouldn't be good, would it?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Back with pencils ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I would image most bits would work fine,may have a bit of a problem with the hard disk though

Martin Warby

Reply to
Martin Warby

Yes. Did you see that programme where they got some high up bods in the Soviet and US space programmes together? The American was boasting about how they'd spent millions getting an upside down anti-gravity pen working. When asking the Soviets how they solved that problem, they replied that they used pencils!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Blimey - it *is* rocket science! :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

It varies. For example, the solid rockets on the shuttle are ignited by a small rocket motor mounted in the top. This is lit by a small pyrotechnic device. When it lights, it fills the chamber of the rocket with hot pressurised gas, and rapidly lights off the main engine.

The main engines do almost use gas-lighters. They are basically really big spark plugs, hooked up to a high power ignition system.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Well FMOB! :)

Every day's a school day.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

It is by flame rectifcation when the oven ignites the ignition generator senses the flame in the spark gap and turns off

What happens when it does not work ? Do you mean you mean it doesnt ignite or does not stop sparking when oven is lit ?

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Ah, well that's half of it. That could explain why it works better when I've given it a good scrubbing.

It just doesn't spark at all and we have to push the ignition button. Not a problem, of course, but things that are supposed to work annoy me when they don't. Might there be a switch on the oven gas tap? I'll go and give it a prod (technical term)...

Aha! I've never played before...:) If I turn the knob just a few degrees, before the gas starts coming out even, it starts sparking. Switch?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

OK. I'm not familiar with this model but other models which work like this do the following:

Attached to the spindle of the gas knob is a microswitch unit which powers the sparker. The electrodes of the sparker once the gas is lit are immersed in the flame this means the that although the sparker is running the mini bolt of lightning is shorted out by the flame and can't be heard. [2] All the rest of the operation (flame failure detection and regulo stuff) is the same as all other ovens.

[2] I beleive the Pott. Netaheat boilers work like this also.

Duff microswitch unit on the gas knob. Poor HT cabling, Poor/eroded electrodes...

Most other things are more likely hard faults.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Would probably be okay upside down - although the bearings might go if you used it on its side.

Reply to
Ric