self cleaning.....

does anybody have self cleaning glass that works?......

Reply to
Jim.GM4DHJ ...

In what context?

I have seen the new hydrophobic glass on some new skyscraper office buildings which the rain literally skids down at great speed sometimes merging droplets and sometimes breaking up.

The self cleaning glass in my wood burning stove also more or less works provided that you run it hot enough. Part of that is clever ventilation that runs cool air down the front surface making sure the zone against the glass is never fuel rich. Any transient soot quickly burns away.

Reply to
Martin Brown

We have some on our new graduate centre it seems to work, the rain runs realy fast down it and it still looks clean afetr a few months.

Reply to
whisky-dave

the stuff on my previous flat did, yes

as did the paintwork on my previous car (yes I know that's not glass)

In both cases the majority of the dirt washed off in the rain (or fell off on its own or whatever), but they were never spotlessly clean, if that's what you were expecting

tim

Reply to
tim...

None of it seems to be immune to the super clinging British standard bird shit we get around here, though some solar companies claim that it is. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Someone I used to work with put it on their windscreen - a complete disaster. When they used the windscreen wipers, the water instantly beaded into a microscopic mist which you couldn't see through.

Many years ago, I had the same when a garage valeted my car (without asking) and waxed the windscreen. I had to talk with Triplex to find out how to get it off the glass.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Rain-X. Ghastly, horrible, hateful stuff.

Reply to
Huge