Seen on a local F/B page

"HELP NEEDED - Does anyone possibly have scaffolding to hire to assist in getting a sofa through a first floor window? "

Aside from wondering how they got into this situation. How would the collective solve this problem ?

Scaffolding might not be the way to do it. I was thinking more along the lines of a collapsible platform or scissor lift. The Egyptians would have used an inclined plane to get Pharaoh's favourite sofa into his Pyramid.

If I find out when and where this is going to be attempted, I might set up a picnic chair and open a bag of pop-corn.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Howie

The sofa possibly went in as 2 or 3 modules and was bolted together once in the room.

Possibly the legs unscrew.

Reply to
alan_m

simple: a van. Park close, use the van roof. Scaffold takes far longer.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Define "scaffolding". Do they means 2" steel tubes, clamps etc, or a clip/slot together ali/steel tower? I suspect the latter.

Would need decent hard standing or stable boards fairly close to under the window. Scaff tower just needs a square foot or so for each leg. Tower would need to be tied to the building at the top when hauling the sofa up the outside, if not the picnic chair and popcorn could be handy.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The owner of the radio shop that my dad used to do aerials for (a pole at the end of the garden, a bracket on the chimney, a glass tube pushed through the window frame, and a lot of wire, but I digress) bought a piano and wanted it getting into his living room which was over the shop.

With me as a small child watching with interest the window frame was removed and and two long ladders erected a few feet apart. They were a very long way from vertical. The instrument was hauled from the living room with ropes and also pushed from below. The operation was a success.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Circa 1980 I was involved in a large section of roof being removed along with ceiling structure to drop a 3 piece suite in an upper room. By crane.

Reply to
RayL12

You just get this young lady to sort it these days Bill;)....

tony sayer
<snip>

What looks like a well thought out piece of kit.

Wouldn't cover many situations of course but looks like it would be much easier than 'man-handling' on the ones it would. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well, one does hope they looked underneath the sofa. I bought a sofa that was just what I wanted, but the shop, knowing the problems with doors stairs and corners in terraced houses in the area sent a man around and the sofa arrived with detachable ends, making it almost Childs play to get in in three pieces. If I ever need to get it out, one simply reverses the process, there are large nuts and bolts involved, and a zip up bottom cover. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The most impressive solution I have seen is a Heath Robinson motorised platform on a fireman's ladder which is used to move household contents in Belgium on "moving day". They have synchronous house moving days!

They will reach to the 4th floor of appartment blocks. Window is removed and the contents put on the platform and then lowered to the ground. Any mistakes and they get there much sooner accelerating in 9.8m/s^2.

It looks and is thoroughly alarming. Most practitioners of the art cordon off the zone underneath the platform.

Reply to
Martin Brown

See also Boston MA

Reply to
Andy Burns

But why did she take the piano all the way up those stairs to tinkle the ivories for a few seconds and then to bring it straight back down again? She could have just off-loaded the piano in the street to play for that short time and it would have saved her so much hassle!

Reply to
alan_m

How do you get the sofa on the van roof ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Very impressive!

However, not sure how well it would fare on conventional wooden steps rather than stone ones.

Reply to
newshound

Jim GM4 DHJ ...

I did that with a bed that had to go into a converted attic. One of my friends arrived ,and my wife said with a straight face "He's upstairs making the bed"

Brian

Reply to
Brian Howie

To demonstrate the gadget Alan. That even a piano-playing lady could do it. ;-)

Well quite, but that wouldn't have been quite as good plug for the 'PianOlift' would it. ;-)

I like the way they designed it to cater for both 'grand' and 'upright' pianos and the way you could tweak the CoG / overhangs as required.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

tony sayer expressed precisely :