security lights

I am about to install 2 security lights for my sister can I ran them in serial on one cable and both on one single switch to turn them on and off. what are the power implications of this, and is it practical. any advice appreciated

-- Yours Jason

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com

Reply to
Jason

No, you do _not_ want to wire them in series.

Each lamp would then only have half mains voltage across it (assuming they're two of the same) and work in a hopelessly inefficient manner.

Wire in parallel - ie lives connected together, and neutrals connected together. Single run of cable is fine, but you shoudl make sure that it's suitable for external installation - normal flex and cable is not. Local electrical retailer shoudl be able to point you in the right direction.

Also, if these are the normal halogen floods, and if they are not being used for PIR frequent on-off operation then you might want to search out and consider installation of "eco floods" (search NG - I posted a question a couple of weeks ago, and supplier links in the responses).

These are essentially low-power versions of the floods, and people have reported that they give very good light output. Advantage is you consume approx 40W per light instead of 150W , 250W, 300W, etc...

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Forgot to say.

For wiring up with a single cable, use an external junction box at the point where the first light "taps off" the cable- most of the lights that I have come across don't have access for two cables into the enclosure.

Again, local electrical supplies retailer will have the correct items for the job. DON'T use junction box designed for internal use.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Thanks for all your help.

-- Yours Jason

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com

Reply to
Jason

Didnt realize it was posted, sorry. My question is, I have several solar powered security, during the winds last spring, two power units broke. Is it possible to buy replacements? or do I have to buy whole units. These have solar panels connected to the light unit, which contains a battery and light

Reply to
greymausg

From the information you give the answer is a definite maybe.

Make and model is the minimum you need to search for the answer using, say, a well known search engine.

Reply to
John Williamson

too vague, what exactly is broken? And what are these devices?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Do you mean that they suffered damage that you can't repair, or they stopped working?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon