Securing wall hung pan

Just finished the tiling and got the pan out of the box ready to bolt to the wall. The instructions indicate that a thin silicone rubber gasket should go between pan and tiles, but none is supplied with the pan or the concealed cistern and frame. I spoke to the retailer who says just to mount it direct to the tiles and that they don't supply gaskets. Is that the usual method? It seems reasonable to me to use a gasket to prevent point contact loads. I've been advised not to use a bead of silicone sealant since it will be difficult to remove the pan without damage in the event of a leak.

The pan is secured to threaded rod anchored into the steel frame, there is a layer of plasterboard and then the tiles, I made sure that the plasterboard was hard up against the steel - ie there should be no flex. The tiles are quite big and the pan locates on just one tile.

Any thoughts, I really don't want the tiles to crack in six months time!

Mart C

Reply to
MartC

Not quite sure of the geometry, is it *really* fixed to just one threaded rod emerging from the tiles?

If it was on two (or more) I would be inclined to put rubber washers over the studding between the tiles and the pan. Another option might be to fix it in place with a bead or layer of silicone covered with aluminium foil. After it has cured, remove the pan and foil and you have a white or translucent "gasket" which fits the pan exactly.

Reply to
newshound

just mount it neat and tighten it up so it's all solid.

a thin silicone or any other gasket wouldn't do anything to the sort of point loads you are imagining.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Sorry, not clear - it's two M10 rods one each side of the flush/waste holes.

Make my own gasket, good idea, I might well try that.

Reply to
MartC

Bead of silicone, but with some film/foil lightly rubbed down over the top of it. That way it will set and behave like a gasket, but not actually stick to the pan.

As long as they are bedded onto a solid bed of glue, they should be fine.

Reply to
John Rumm

Sorry, I should have said the foil *may* stick to the silicone, the technique is to wrap it around the porcelain, then trim it off with a scalpel or similar with the pan in position after the silicone has set. Can also use cling film I believe.

Reply to
newshound

By far the easiest way to cast a gasket is to grease the tiles. once the silicone has gone off fully - next day or more - wipe off any excess grease.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin