Search engine

I'm a little lost now. :) Attachements from solicitors? Do you mean like... links to an encrypted web-page that you sign into with a secret password in order to download secure documents and the linked document site is objecting to your "old" OS/browser?

Reply to
www.GymRats.uk

Nothing so fancy:-)

Not a browser issue. The last one was docx format.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

LibreOffice (for at least Linux and Windows) can handle Office formats (docx, doc, xlsx, xls, pptx, ppt). Or one of a number of versions of MSOffice work as well.

There is more than one PDF viewer, on both platforms.

However, for form filling, or signing of PDFs, only Adobe Acrobat stands the best chance of "working with fancy features". Working with a solicitor and using PDF, is a higher bar. There is probably more than one way of signing a PDF, but I don't know the details.

If you're working with webmail:

1) Double clicking an attachment, might be linked to a handler, launching LibreOffice Writer for example (DOCX). Because of the possibility of executable macros, double clicking attachments is not considered "Safe Hex". As an example, a poster in another group, was totally wiped out by ransomware, after double clicking a phishing attachment (with the wrong file extension) in Windows. He didn't have backups or anything. The ransomware was Icarus. 2) Detach an attachment and save to file system. a) Drag and drop file onto a LibreOffice Writer icon. b) Start LibreOffice Writer, select File:Open, navigate to the item.

Even Adobe Acrobat has an attack surface. In preferences, you can turn off "Javascript support". When a form-filling PDF shows up, you might be queried by Acrobat Reader, to turn Javascript back on. And later, you can turn it off again. Turning it off, is so if you habitually directly view PDFs, they can get up to less mischief. I would expect browsers with built-in PDF, they would have Javascript disabled.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Paul. Much of the above is way beyond my understanding:-(

Largely caused by a reluctance to invest in the necessary software.

I have the free versions of Acrobat and Open office and Word.

I do manage to do a monthly backup and don't go opening suspicious mail attachments.

File handling is not something easily learned by elderly farmers!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

What he's saying is that just about any type of file can contain malware, though I think plain text is still fairly safe.

Just don't open/execute anything that wasn't created either by you or someone you trust, at least not on Windows, and if possible, keep JavaScript turned off in browsers. That's getting a bit difficult now in that almost nobody can write web pages without it.

Reply to
Joe

In message snipped-for-privacy@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>, Joe snipped-for-privacy@jretrading.com writes

Ok. Joe. Firefox is set to the high level for security. I have no idea if JavaScript is off or not.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have run our business for the last 23 years with the only software purchase being Quickbook Last version purchased was QB Pro 2015 which is still in use.

For office type documents I use OpenOffice or Libre Office which also allows for the editing of .pdf files.

The .pdf reader I use is the free version from FoxIT and for those really annoying companies that insist on un-readable Micro$oft documents docx there's always the free Microsoft file viewer, though I don't remember when I had to use that last!

You really don't need to pay for Micro$oft Office or anything else to operate in a commercial world.

Fianlly, if subject to now being forced to submit VAT returns digitally there are even companies that will do that on your behalf for free... For example...

Cheers - Pete

Reply to
www.GymRats.uk

Modern libreoffice handles docx quite happily.

Reply to
Chris Green

That'd be why the annoyance hasn't surfaced for a while then. :)

Cheers - Pete

Reply to
www.GymRats.uk