Sealing with PVA

I've used both Ammonia or Caustic Soda in a weak solution to treat new pine & get that nice 'aged' shade. Ammonia fumes are not pleasant so I don't use it anymore.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

So if I want an antique pine effect ( its all 7 years old the wood) as I have nearly striped it all now whats the best to do to get that aged look? isnt vandyke very dark? Will the soda age it? Thanks Sam

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Blimey, you don't hang about do you? I've known people take months to strip their spindles. I assume they weren't too ornate :-)

Vandyke is best used at around 1% (or a teaspoon to a pint of water). Takes an hour or so to fully dissolve.

The wood really needs to soak in caustic, or be exposed to ammonia fumes, for several hours to affect the appearance. Not practical in this case. Vandyke itself is mildly alkaline.

Reply to
stuart noble

No they are quite plain. I started with a heat gun and it was taking ages. I then used nitromors and its done the trick, along with a very sharp B&Q scraper. Rails were tough but I did it for 8 hours a day 7 days a week and suprised myself how fast it came off. Its only ever had 1 layer of paint in its 7 year history so not too difficult.

I am not too bothered about the wood itself looking old but I want the stain to take well. I watched Holmes On Homes once when the decorator was conditioning a staircase with water on a rag. he said it allows him ti see any glue left over from the chippie and also conditions the wood by openng the pours allowing it to take the stain easier. I must say having done this on a brand new windowsill I bought and installed its taken the stain and varnish very well and very evenly.

So I plan to stain with an antique pine effect. So haveing read these threads its better to use an antique pine varnish rather than a dedicated stain and a sating varnish on top

Reply to
Samantha Booth

If theres one product I'd stay right away from, thats it. The trouble with tinted varnishes is that like any varnish in time it chips, and you then get little white wood patches on a darker background, it could hardly look worse.

Best route with pine or spruce imho is to not stain it at all. Initially it does look anaemic, but it slowly colours nicely up by itself, and after a bit the result of aged untinted pine beats aged tinted pine any day. The former is full of detail and character, the latter looks flat and characterless.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If theres one product I'd stay right away from, thats it. The trouble with tinted varnishes is that like any varnish in time it chips, and you then get little white wood patches on a darker background, it could hardly look worse.

Best route with pine or spruce imho is to not stain it at all. Initially it does look anaemic, but it slowly colours nicely up by itself, and after a bit the result of aged untinted pine beats aged tinted pine any day. The former is full of detail and character, the latter looks flat and characterless.

NT

So just a clear varnish then.

Can I ask, what about Waxing it. I have he brishes for waxing that go in the drill to buff the wood. I am wondering if waxing would give a better finish. Please dont think I am not taking your great advice i am just wondering and guessing.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

I am currently sitting at a small desk which was brand new pine a few years ago. Varnished with Aqualac (on offer at Screwfix - looks like it might be discontinued). Started as described - a bit anaemic - but has darkened down and, to my eyes, looks as good as pine ever does. Easy to apply. Nice gentle sheen. Pretty tough.

I am not in a position to judge between wax and Aqualac. But I think I'd jump for Aqualac myself.

Reply to
Rod

Is it OK to stain, wax or clear varnish the wood after the Soda has been applied Dave?

Also when you say weak solution how much? What exactly does it do to the wood? thanks Dave

Sam

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Thats all I've ever done, let it dry & apply finish.

Teaspoon in a litre spray bottle.

Try some on some scrap wood & see.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Make sure that you use 40mm pipe and put a good slope on it for that distance

Reply to
Andy Hall

There are two other golden rules, I find particularly worth remembering:

"The person who never made a mistake never made anything"

"Assumption is the mother of all c*ck-ups" (this applies to DIY, relationships, parenting, just about anything important, as I suspect we all have known to our cost!)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Tried some on the wood today and it went quite yellow.

Reply to
Samantha Booth