Sealing PVC frame to brickwork

Hi

One of my PVC windows is leaking in between frame and the brickwork. I noticed when I had a replacement back door fitted, that the sealant the guy used, was much firmer and felt far more permanent that usual silicone sealant.

Would this do the job ? I like the idea it can be used in damp conditions, because I don't really want to wait until everything dries out.

Unibond 100% Grab Adhesive & Sealant 280ml 1814388

Or is there a recommendation of something better I could use?

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

"frame sealant" from other more usual suppliers (screwfux, toolsatan) ? cheaper for a start....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Can you use those when the brickwork is damp, well wet?

Reply to
Andy Cap

as long as not raining until it "skins" and bricks not "running" with water - yes IME.

Most are acrylic based so are finished off with a "wetted finger" anyway....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

The instructions on the tube I have, awaiting some dry weather to reseal the garage door frame, say the joint must be clean, dry and free from dust.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

and which product might that be?.....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Unibond door and window frame sealant.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Which is a silicone based product is it not?....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

No idea. It was the only frame sealant available and it doesn't say what its base is.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

JFGI ? (Assuming there is a constructive point to all this?...)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

The constructive point is that the only frame sealant I could lay my hands on requires the joint to be clean and dry, which is what the OP needs to know. So long as it works, I don't care what base it uses.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I've ordered the one which apparently works in damp circumstances ! It cost £8.79 incl. which will be well worth it *if* it works.

Reply to
Andy Cap

OK if you prefer to wait for dry weather? Which IIRC the OP specifically asked about...

That's your assumptive mistake.

Despite your ignorance, if the OP cares to investigate he will discover sealants aren't all the same -

Sorry if it's confusing for you.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Sorry, but how does your initial answer of 'frame sealant' indicate that there are different specifications? If I'd simply chosen the one Nightjar has, it would have been unsuitable.

Reply to
Andy Cap

It didn't initially but offered you another avenue to explore. I qualified it in response to your query just 2 hours later - do you remember that one too?

In general if you care to read on/around lots will become clear...

In any case it's all rather academic now isn't it

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Do you always throw around gratuitous insults whenever anybody points out that your advice may not be completely accurate?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

which one got to you?

was it in response to your own somewhat mischievous contribution:-

">Jim K

The instructions on the tube I have, awaiting some dry weather to reseal the garage door frame, say the joint must be clean, dry and free from dust. "

which is somewhat diversionary wouldn't you agree? ....

note my use of "most" and you being unable and unwilling to bother checking the detail of the product you (eventually) mentioned. Silicone based (as "I" pointed out -not you) and therefore prefers a bone dry application scenario. Others as we now know, do not require this.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

To a first approximation: Yes.