sealing plywood edges

I am re-flooring a farm trailer with 3/4" WBP plywood.

Inevitably this will be exposed to sunshine and rain. Is attempting to seal the edges worth while and, if so, how? Also how much expansion gap to leave when fitting 4'0" sheets?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If its WBP ply (and it should be for this application) then it should not delaminate anyway. A couple of coats of whatever finish the rest is getting ought to do it. If you want a posher looking job then you coud fix real wood lippings to the edges.

Ply is relatively dimensionally stable, so you ought not need much - say a quarter inch per side...

Reply to
John Rumm

In boat building you would coat/paint the ply with epoxy resin maybe with a little filler for the edges. You can always add sand to the last coat for a non-slip finish on the top surface.

Reply to
robert

Hmm.. I'm about as far from the sea as you can get. Although, there was once a modest *ships chandlers* in St. Albans, Mrs. Wedge!

Current thinking is to dose the edges with whatever oil based topcoat comes to hand. Non slip is not a huge issue as the trailer is unlikely to be used in wet conditions. (hay/straw haulage).

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I bought 'wbp' from wickes once. One day of light rain and it delaminated!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

We'll see. Reading the almost illegible stamping, this came from properly managed forest in China!

Reply to
Tim Lamb