Sealing old chimney breast

Having just removed a modern false chimney breast I've discovered the probable reason for putting it in in the first place. Namely, the original chimney breast is heavily stained with wood and coal tar which has worked it's way through the brickwork.

I solved the underlying problem about ten years ago by installing a multi-fuel stove with a nice thick stainless steel chimney liner which goes right to the top of the chimney but what is the best way of sealing the stained plaster so I can paint the chimney breast without worrying that the stain will come through ?

I'm currently considering that good old staple, PVA. Would a nice thick coat of that be sufficient or do I need something more substantial ?

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

It is possible to use PVA although you can also buy a dedicated masonary sealer (one i used was by Feb).

Failing that, I have had good results in this situation with a regular good quality oil based undercoat paint.

HTH Rob

Reply to
Kalico

What about stainblock paint? I've never used it on smoke/tar stains like you have, but it's certainly worked well for me with other stains

David

Reply to
Lobster

I found PVA doesnt always do it: when it didnt, stainblock paint did. Sounds like the thing to try first.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a go