Need advice on building fence.

I'm planning to build a painted wooden picket fence and I'm a bit stuck on two main considerations. One is what would be the best type of commonly available timber to use as regards durability. The other is in deciding how the main posts are going to be fixed into the ground. Is there some kind of metal socket available that can be set in concrete and then the post fitted into the socket. Something similar to the "metapost" spiky affairs used for garden fences but with a post release mechanism (perhaps a nut and bolt) to allow replacement?

Reply to
Tony Halmarack

Metpost does a version that is specifically for setting in concrete. I used them when replacing a larch-lap fence last year. They're very good, and easy to put in straight, but I don't think the ones I used have a bolt to allow th epost to be removed (I can't see the fence from here). IIRC, the instructions mentioned cutting the timber near the Metpost and burning the rest out.

Reply to
Hywel

Hi,

There are types available that go into concrete with the upper part that is adjustable.

I have seen this type in B&Q here in Dublin.

FrancisJK

Reply to
FrancisJK

Thanks, I'll have a look for those. I suppose not having a removal mechanism would at least keep the socket looking trim and tidy. burning out the old post when necessary wouldn't be too bad a method as a second choice.

Reply to
Tony Halmarack
[...]

That's encouraging. It's off to B&Q then. Thanks.

Reply to
Tony Halmarack

I suppose hacking out what you can, a bit of WD40 and some chip-fat and you could have a right good time for an hour or so.

Reply to
Hywel

Always wanted a barbie. The ones you cook on of course. Never let it be said... :-)

Reply to
Tony Halmarack