Sealing new wall before painting?

I've got some new internal walls in the house - usual wood frame with plasterboard. They are going to be skim coated by a plasterer next week.

What's the best way to seal them before painting (so it doesn't soak up several layers of paint) or should I just slap on a few coats of cheap white emulsion first? Someone recommended mixing some PVA glue with white emulsion and doing one coat of that first....comments? If so, what proportions of glue/paint/water?

Cheers Ronnie

Reply to
Ronnie Gibson

Unibond is what you'r looking fo

-- Mcluma

Reply to
Mcluma

You should google this group for previous posts on this; it last came up a few days ago and the answer is a resounding NO to letting PVA anywhere near fresh plaster..

David

Reply to
Lobster

Plaster doesnt soak up paint, the pigment stays on the surface.

Dont use glue, use trade emulsion as directed on can.

Reply to
Vista

And use white emulsion for this - it's considerably cheaper and gives a more even finish once the final colour is applied (says he from finding out the hard way on the first room)

Reply to
Mike

Fwom:Ronnie Gibson ( snipped-for-privacy@strath.ac.uk) Subject:Sealing new wall before painting?

doing

Traditional method is to apply a piss coat of diluted paint. I've had better results though by slapping on a coat of water, waiting a few minutes then using paint full strength. Quicker, easier, cleaner, better cover.

Use trade paint, not emulsion.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Wow.. this keeps cropping up.

The consensus seems to be that using Dulux Trade Supermatt (following the directions on the tin) is the best option but you need to ensure that the plaster is full dry first.

Brad

glue/paint/water?

Reply to
Brad