Sealing Exterior Walls With Breathable Coatings

The gable wall of my house was sand blasted and re-pointed a few years ago. The brickwork is Yorkshire stone brick, circa 1870.

The sand blasting has resulted in the stonework becoming porous, especially in the vicinity of the fireplaces, to a height of about 6 ft. The stonework is now friable.

I had the wall looked at by a local firm over a year ago who suggested coating it with a an acrylic polymer (emulsion) sealant after cleaning the friable stonework with a stiff brush. The chemical they recommended was something called Ultra Proof by a company called Timber Repair (

This allows the stonework to breathe and dry out whilst blocking further damp ingress.

I have decided to do the work myself, but can't find much information on "Ultra Proof". The popular alternative seems to be Thompsons Water Seal, which is available from the local B&Q.

Is Thompsons Water Seal upto the job?

SR NG_786

Reply to
SR

The brickwork is

the vicinity of the

it with a an acrylic

brush. The chemical

Repair

This allows the stonework to breathe and dry out whilst blocking further

"Ultra Proof". The popular

I would suggest getting a bit more knowledge on what to do and not do first. The above is really not appropriate.

meow2222