Sealing a thread between ally and brass.

There's a steel heater pipe which runs under the inlet manifold on my old Rover. And being steel it naturally rots away with time. It's also NLA. I made up a new one out of ordinary 15mm copper tube sweated into a 3/4" male conduit bush which has the same TPI, but maybe not the same actual thread. But it does screw in all the way and tighten securely. However, despite loads of PTFE tape, it started dripping slightly after a few years. What would be the best thing to seal it with? The manifold is ally - the bush brass. And requires a major stripdown to get at.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

some sort of Loctite or red haematite type gunk maybe?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Liquid PTFE. Fiver a bottle or so, Screwfix et al.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

glycerine and litharge, if you can still get litharge

Reply to
F Murtz

Plumbers' hemp and Boss White; work the Boss white into the strands of hemp before winding it into the threads. If it's close to a lot of heat you could use asbestos string instead of the hemp.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero