"Sealing" a pipe exit from boxing

I'm boxing-in several pipe drops in the corners of rooms. The pipes drop vertically and then exit horizontally to go to a radiator. I'd like to find a way to fill the gaps around the horizontal pipes, where they exit the boxing, in such a way that the pipes can still move slightly without making a noise; the boxing will be covered in lining paper and then painted. Ideas so far include soft rubber or a squirt of expanding foam (trimmed back flush), but there must be a better way. What have others used?

Reply to
nothanks

Use pipe collars, you can make the exit from the boxing a generous fit around the pipe to prevent chaffing and use the collars to cover the exit point. They can be cut down if the pipe runs close to the wall.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I've used those in bathrooms before, but I don't think they'd look right in regular rooms. Also, they're 15mm pipes on 30mm centres, coming through a rectangular cut-out that's about 55x32.

Reply to
nothanks

Like I said they can be trimmed where because of pipe centres they would overlap. If the hole in the pipe box is too big to be covered see if you can glue/fix wood in the opening to reduce it until the collars cover the opening.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Silicone. Another option is to wrap a layer of clingfilm round the pipe then use ordinary filler. It doesn't bond to the pipe, letting it move in 1 direction. Another option is a thin wood disc. Make any size using holesaws & drill bit.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'd thought about making a split disc but the pipes are on 30mm centres so it would be a bit awkward. I hadn't thought about using cling film - thanks

Reply to
nothanks