Lining paper quick questions

Hi

Wonder if anyone could answer a query I've got on lining paper.

Once you've hung it, does it need to be primed/sized? I would have thought so otherwise it would be v difficult to slide the top wallpaper when positioning it correctly.

If so what do you do it with, I'm a bit worried that by re-wetting it the lining paper will come loose?

Lastly, I've bought some 1000 grade paper from Homebase and the instructions don't mention whether there is a "correct" side to use, i.e which side goes to the wall and which you hang the wallpaper on. Does it matter, if so how can you tell?

Thanks for any replies

Graham

Reply to
gvmead

No, the paper you hang over it will slide quite well. Lining paper is quite resistant to wet, and you need to soak it for about 1/4 hr. before hanging it.

Possibly it might bubble - however, when it dries, it should adhere again. It's worth making sure you do a good job with the lining paper.

Normally you paste to the inside of the roll - i.e. when it's lying on your pasting table, it looks like this:

end \________________/ end

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I'm sure you know that the preferred method of hanging lining paper is horizontally? That way there's no danger of lining paper joins and top paper joins co-inciding

Reply to
Homer2911

Thanks for the replies

Chris: Thanks for your v useful advice

Homer2911 : Yes I knew about the horizontal hanging. I've hung a fair bit of wallpaper but never lining paper.

I keep trying very hard to convince myself that hanging it horizontal is a must/the right way but it sounds an absolute logisitical nightmare, akin to hanging ceiling paper.

I've seen other posts where some people say it doesn't matter if its vertical and you don't see the lines and that lining paper is slightly wider than normal paper so the joins co-inciding is unlikely.

I'm going to try horizontal and see if I can do it.

Graham

Reply to
gvmead

Hanging ceiling paper really isn't that hard.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Can give a clammy feeling at the back of the neck...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I can't see the point. As you say, the widths are different anyway. With standard lining paper I don't think there's a right or wrong side to paste. As you probably know, the main thing is to allow the paste to soak into the paper for at least 15 mins, which effectively means pasting half a dozen lengths before you hang the first. I always give the wall a thin coat of paste just before hanging each piece, and the same when papering over the lining paper. It's the job I hate most, and I don't seem to get any better at it.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Only if it catches up with you -- JDAMHIK OK!

Reply to
Buzby

I've really never understood this edict, and frankly have never even attempted to do it.

You put up your lining paper vertically; then drop a plumbline in the middle of one of your drops, to mark where the top paper will start, and you quickly check where the next drops will go by holding a roll up to the wall, all along the width of the wall, just to confirm there will indeed be no coincident joins with the lining paper, and no embarrassingly narrow drops at the corners. Why would lining-papering horizontally be any better/easier?

David

Reply to
Lobster

In any case the lining paper is a different width to the ordinary to avoid the problem. I have never met anyone who does it, so it can't be the "preferred" method, by definition!

The results, were I to hang the paper horizontally, would certainly not be preferred!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Does not compute! If it is a different width then there is a likelyhood of a joint lining up every so often. If it's the same width then with a staggered first piece they will never line up.

Reply to
<me9

True - which is why I always do the traversing-across-the-wall-with-a-rolled-up-roll trick which I mentioned, before comitting myself, just to make sure!

David

Reply to
Lobster

But the joint lining up might be after 120 metres (exaggeration), hence within normal perimeters (average rooms) you may not hit the problem.

Sod's law says you will though.

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo

I expect somebody could work out the odds.......

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Just checked my post in case of any new replies and there are!

So VERTICAL it is then, I wasn't looking forward to being suffocated by wet lining paper as I attempted the "horizontal" method!

Reckon it'll be easier to make sure the joins don't meet in my little house than defy gravity!

Reply to
gvmead