sealing a hole in a tabletop

Hi All

I have a kitchen table top that recently have a cooker hob replaced with a smaller one. As a result theres a hole about 10cm by 70 cm. From the sides i see that the sides are made of concrete and tiled over. the tiled table top is about 4 cm thick. Any idea how should this hole be patched?

I was hoping to built a slap where i can tile over to close up the hole.

all help is appreciated

thanks

Reply to
yuyuhjkdsuyy

Hi All

I have a kitchen table top that recently have a cooker hob replaced with a smaller one. As a result theres a hole about 10cm by 70 cm. From the sides i see that the sides are made of concrete and tiled over. the tiled table top is about 4 cm thick. Any idea how should this hole be patched?

I was hoping to built a slab where i can tile over to close up the hole.

all help is appreciated

thanks

Reply to
yuyuhjkdsuyy

You have a 'kitchen table top' which I assume is a worktop. It's made of 'concrete'? And you want to 'built a slap'?

Communicating in English would help no end. I don't actually have any idea what you are talking about. How does our education system fail so badly?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

God knows how you ever get work when you appear to be so thick. You and everyone else knows exactly what he means. Stop trying to be clever because it isn't funny and you're making a fool of yourself yet again. Come back when you're not being an idiot.

Reply to
Jason

If the worktop is tiled, then it should be fairly easy to patch. A small offcut of worktop cut to the right size can be fixed in the hole - for a piece that size, a generous application of Gripfill or similar adhesive should hold it. For extra support you could screw a small piece of wood to the underside of the worktop to bridge the join between old bit and new bit.

You may need to remove the row of tiles next to the hole if they had been cut to fit the previous hob, and then cut in new tiles. Apply silicone sealant to the join between the hob and the tiles to prevent water getting into the baseboard.

Reply to
John Rumm

^^

By not operating in singapore perhaps?

Reply to
John Rumm

Perhaps you could translate for me then, because I also cannot understand.

Reply to
mike

How does our education system fail so badly?

Because the kids go straight from school to uni, then straight back to school again. When I was a lad lots of teachers had experience of the real world before training to be a teacher.

Dave

Reply to
gort

a) first language of the OP is not English b) he has a concrete worktop (common is Asia) with ceramic tiled top (and a hole in it) c) he's probably been scared off by rudeness

Reply to
atticus

Hadn't noticed that the OP was from Singapore. I unreservedly apologise to the OP for my rudeness.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And they /still/ can't spell...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

=============================== In my youth we went to 'varsity'. Today they go to 'uni'. I wonder if this has any bearing on the matter?

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

then, because I also cannot

Excuse the lousy Google interface. I am trying the groups with javascript enabled and it is even worse than without.

The OP wants to patch a table or worktop that had once housed an oven or some such. He now has a smaller unit and wishes to close and hide the aperture.

To the OP:

It is not necessary to make a fillet or patch that is as deep as the worktop. All you need do is obtain a pice of suitable material, a strip of wood perhaps that is long enough and wide enough to close the void or hole.

It might be fixed in place with brackets from underneath or if it is possible to remove the new hob with screws. An adhesive might be used instead but not GripFix (the brand name of a rubber solution filler/ adhesive in the UK -a "generic name" these days used to indicate all similar substances.)

GripFix or a similar product will not behave well near heat.

You seem a little vague in describing it as a concrete table. That is an unusual material to use for furniture in the UK.

Is it possible to patch it with a cement mixture? Or is this concrete a plastic variety?

If ordinary concrete, paint the surfaces of the sides to be patched with a white adhesive called PVA. When this is dry you can pour in some cement.

Place a piece of board under the table to stop any falling through and a strip of timber to stop the concrete flowing past where you want the patch to reach.

It is a very simple job - though I have not described it very well. I'd just use a strip of timber for the patch and fix it with a plastic adhesive such as Araldite or a car body filler type of resin.

If you use a piece of teak or afrormosia, you can make the patch into a feature and not tile over it.

Write if you need more help. Good luck -and have fun.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

No, in MY youth they went to a technical college, and came out knowing something useful.

Now they go to a uni, and end up knowing nothing of any relevance to anyone, except what it feels like to be thousands in debt at age 21. And the proud possessor of a degree in 'Meeja studdies' which any employer will piss himself laughing at. Oh and a find belief which lasts no more than three months, that a shitty bit of paper from a shitty little uni in a subject that any fule kan pars is going to guarantee them a salary in the 40k mark, and a lifetime of bliss shagging the celebrity of their choice.

Whereas in fact all it is useful for is wiping their arses with, and the debt they have merely subsidises loads of people who (like them) can't do, so teach.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

=============================== Surprisingly, it appears that it isn't all doom and gloom for Media Studies graduates:

Under "Arts and Humanities"

"The employability of media studies graduates remained high, with 72.1% of graduates working six months after graduation - putting it third, behind marketing and civil engineering in the rankings, and unemployment down significantly by 0.6 percentage points. Media studies graduates were the most likely of all graduates to enter the extremely competitive media industry. However, only one in seven, 14.5%, of media studies graduates managed to get work in the media, which remains one of the most difficult areas of the economy to break into."

Source:

fact is that a strong and diverse economy needs all kinds including the unskilled. Most tradesmen such as plumbers, electricians etc. make a good living precisely because everybody isn't multi-skilled.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

No its my fault. Sorry for being so vague.

Reply to
yuyuhjkdsuyy

Hi thanks for all your replies, this is a great group and sorry for not making myself clear. I got some photos of the place yes, its tiled over concrete

Reply to
yuyuhjkdsuyy

thanks for your help

Reply to
yuyuhjkdsuyy

i managed to take some pics and have uploaded them. you can see the top and bottom view of the concrete top

hope the pics helps in explaining what i am trying to say and do.

thanks

Reply to
yuyuhjkdsuyy