Sealant for petrol tank

Renault Scenic petrol tank has a dodgy seal. It only leaks when the tank is filled to the top but fumes can be smelt occasionally.

I have taken car to dealer who tried to fit a new seal but says tank is deformed ("they deform once the seal has been broken") and so the new seal will not seat correctly. New tank is =A3500 + labour, car worth =A32000. So I really just need to know if there is a sealant out there.

Thank you

Reply to
nafuk

================================== I'm not sure where the damaged seal is but you could google for "Petropatch" and see if one of their products will help.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

That all sounds completely wrong to me!

The filler cap has to be able to 'breathe' in order to allow air in as the petrol gets used up. Failure to breathe results in a vacuum - whereby the tank collapses under atmospheric pressure.

What exactly is your problem?

Reply to
Roger Mills

No. To reduce pollution modern cars do run with a partial vacuum in the tank. And a fully sealed cap.

If the tank is leaky this will upset the whole fuel/fume control, and probably is an MOT failure if they actually checked.

I would suggest a tank from a scrapyard.

And someone a bit less aggressive than your current car mechanic.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wouldn't .How does he know it is not the same as the one it is replacing .

It seems extremely odd that a problem where the seal is defective requires the tank to be replaced at such a cost . I'd be looking for a second opinion . I'm assuming the seal is somewhere around where the neck meets the body of the car . How on earth can the tank get "deformed" because of a defective seal.

Reply to
stillnobodyhome

Hi, thank you for the replies. I am not the only one with this problem. If I get a used tank it may also be deformed. Believe me, I have researched this a bit. Anyone know of a product that will seal the tank? Thank you

Reply to
nafuk

stillnobodyhome ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If the "seal" is reasonably substantial, even when compressed, but the tank flange it meets isn't, then I can certainly picture torqueing the fasteners up deforming the flange to the point where the main way to guarantee a good seal is to replace the tank.

There would have to be a heavy element of bad design involved, though...

Reply to
Adrian

It's a Renault. QED.

Reply to
Huge

Someone has suggested gasket sealant

like it may do the job. Any comments? Thank you

Reply to
nafuk

Hi, thank you for the replies. I am not the only one with this problem. If I get a used tank it may also be deformed. Believe me, I have researched this a bit. Anyone know of a product that will seal the tank? Thank you

Are you sure you know exactly where the leak is, can you describe the geometry, what are the materials and what sort of access do you have? Petropatch will certainly seal petrol tanks OK, it is a fabric patch which you stick in place with a sort of thick paint goo. If you are only sealing against vapour, not fluid, plenty of things will stick and seal given proper surface preparation; epoxy resin, silicone rubber sealant, car body filler, "fibre-glass" kits, etc. Depending on the geometry you might be able to use a length of suitable inner tube or other rubber sheeting, perhaps clamped with jubilee clips. For "glues" the issues may include movement from vibration or thermal expansion.

Reply to
newshound

Someone has suggested gasket sealant

will resist petrol, but remember it is designed for sealing as a very thin layer in a relatively wide flange. While you can use it on pitted flanges, it will just fill the space; the sealing is done elsewhere. It doesn't really harden except perhaps at the exposed edges.

Reply to
newshound

Try Frost Auto Restoration. They have an extensive range of fuel tank solutions. No idea if they work!

Richard

You've never replaced a car's petrol tank have you ? :-) :-) :-)

Reply to
stillnobodyhome