hole in petrol tank...

what is the best stuff to patch a hole in a petrol tank ?

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

trade name you used would be good...visbella ... pro seal...etc

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

How big is the hole?

In the distant past and on a very old car I once accidentally drilled a hole through the petrol tank. I managed to seal it with a self tapping screw covered in sealant. Similarly on the same car there was a pin-hole in the exhaust manifold. I managed to drill and tap that hole, screwed in a bolt and filed the head off the bolt.

Reply to
alan_m

Car body filler and one of these:

with a penny washer.

It worked for many years me when a scrote screwdrivered my tank. You could use a sealant specifically intended for petrol but in my case I didn't have any at hand.

Reply to
Fredxx

You can't. Any MOT tester worth his salt will spot it. When my Mk 1 astra petrol tank started leaking from the seams it cost me £50 to have it lined with something at a company in Brighton, plus the cost of removal and replacement.

Reply to
Andrew

It is now about between quarter and half inchin diameter and I am draining the petrol...like you I would prefer a mechanical repair....I was thinking of forcing a washer though the hole on the end of a bolt and another on the outside with a nut perhaps with some sealant of some kind......???

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

That's better than my idea plenty of those .... gonna try THAT...thanks..the hole is big enough now

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

I'll get a good tank out of a scrappy before next march.....thanks for the warning

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

After a few months my repair looked integral to the tank. The filler became grey and looked like underseal. No tester noticed and I don't believe the rules have changed significantly since.

They are only concerned with leaks and holes. There are companies that carry out fuel tank repairs.

Reply to
Fredxx

Can you please cite a section of the MOT test that would fail a repaired fuel tank? One that has no holes and no leaks.

Crossposted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Reply to
Fredxx

yes but I think a newer better tank soon is a good idea I just don't like distress purchases and a new tank is £350 and I avoid garages like the virus...and I'm cheap......so it will give me time to locate a good second hand one....

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

depends how good the repair is I suppose.....

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

got a toggle just the right size when folded and a washer and some arldite.....just need to clean it up now....

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

In Australia where many roads were simply graded and not tarmacked petrol tank punctures were common and a dob of some softened soap was the outback solution.

Reply to
AnthonyL

there you go all done by the wife.....

thanks fredxx

Reply to
Jim GM4 DHJ ...

Glad to be of help.

Reply to
Fredxx

Petro Patch. Never needed to use the modern "putty" but the old fashioned "varnish" and fabric fixed many old British motor-bikes.

Reply to
newshound

What cased the hole? Rust? Stone thrown up from the road? other?

Reply to
alan_m

A half-inch hole didn't appear overnight (assuming corrosion), so you must have smelt fumes for a while ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Salt, judging by the knackered state of that tank. He'll need a big bung for the MOT tester because its right next to the suspension which will be carefully looked at anyway.

Reply to
Andrew