SDS Wood Bits?

I see that Lidl have some SDS-Plus bit sets (chisels, etc.) coming up soon - but one of the sets contains wood augers. Why would you use a wood auger in an SDS drill - or am I missing something?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Saves carting another drill around. On my SDS , I can turn off the hammer action. I even have a conventional chuck which goes into the SDS one.

Reply to
charles

Having seen someone drill replacement oak beams for a 16c house I think the power and (unless cheap) clutch cd also be helpful.

Reply to
Robin

The slower rotational speed and extra torque can be handy for this application. Its also convenient since the bits are quick to change and don't slip in use.

Reply to
John Rumm

SDS is just the type of chuck fitted. It is not a type of drilling action.

Reply to
dennis

Whilst we are on the topic, what does SDS stand for?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Some German thing..

which has been called special direct system on some English web sites.

Reply to
dennis

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Steck, Dreh, Sitzt

Reply to
harry

Steck-Dreh-Sitz = Insert-Twist-Stay

Reply to
Andy Burns

I used to use them often when my Hilti TE6A was my main drill - as others have said, it saved changing drills.

Now I like the Bosch Selfcut speed bits for mutilating joists.

Reply to
Steve

Most of my body* prefers the Armeg quad-flute wood beaver drills, the stubby version used in an impact driver avoids the need for an angle-drill.

[*] one of my thumbs is less keen.
Reply to
Andy Burns

Makes sense. But I hope they come with a clear warning to use rotate only - with no hammer action - otherwise the spiral lead screws ain't going to last very long!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Is that an adapter that plugs into the SDS or a change of chuck?

I have had SDS drills where you literally swap the chuck.

Reply to
ARW

It's a normal looking chuch with an SDS fitting.

Reply to
charles

More expensive drill bits, ...

Reply to
Andrew

Steck Dreh Sitz which translates roughly to "Insert, twist, stay".

Reply to
John Rumm

Never use the Jacobs chuck on hammer!

NT