SDS Wood Bits?

I see that Lidl have some SDS-Plus bit sets (chisels, etc.) coming up soon - but one of the sets contains wood augers. Why would you use a wood auger in an SDS drill - or am I missing something?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Saves carting another drill around. On my SDS , I can turn off the hammer action. I even have a conventional chuck which goes into the SDS one.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 07/08/2018 10:00, charles wrote:

Having seen someone drill replacement oak beams for a 16c house I think the power and (unless cheap) clutch cd also be helpful.
--
Robin
On 07/08/2018 10:00, charles wrote:

Is that an adapter that plugs into the SDS or a change of chuck?
I have had SDS drills where you literally swap the chuck.
--
Adam

It's a normal looking chuch with an SDS fitting.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Thursday, 9 August 2018 19:48:30 UTC+1, charles wrote:

Never use the Jacobs chuck on hammer!
NT
On 07/08/2018 09:56, Roger Mills wrote:

The slower rotational speed and extra torque can be handy for this application. Its also convenient since the bits are quick to change and don't slip in use.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 07/08/2018 11:36, John Rumm wrote:

Makes sense. But I hope they come with a clear warning to use rotate only - with no hammer action - otherwise the spiral lead screws ain't going to last very long!
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 07/08/2018 09:56, Roger Mills wrote:

SDS is just the type of chuck fitted. It is not a type of drilling action.
dennis@home wrote:

Whilst we are on the topic, what does SDS stand for?
On 07/08/2018 15:31, Bob Minchin wrote:

Some German thing..
which has been called special direct system on some English web sites.
dennis@home wrote:

Thanks Dennis
On Tuesday, 7 August 2018 15:30:43 UTC+1, Bob Minchin wrote:

Steck, Dreh, Sitzt
On 07/08/2018 15:31, Bob Minchin wrote:

More expensive drill bits, ...
On 07/08/2018 15:31, Bob Minchin wrote:

Steck Dreh Sitz which translates roughly to "Insert, twist, stay".
--
Cheers,

John.
On Tue, 07 Aug 2018 09:56:57 +0100

I used to use them often when my Hilti TE6A was my main drill - as others have said, it saved changing drills.
Now I like the Bosch Selfcut speed bits for mutilating joists.
Steve wrote:

Most of my body* prefers the Armeg quad-flute wood beaver drills, the stubby version used in an impact driver avoids the need for an angle-drill.
[*] one of my thumbs is less keen.