Wasps & wood ?

We have a barbecue shelter, made out of some sort of hardwood.

Every summer, since I built it (2011) I've noticed that wasps seem attracted to it. In particular the upright pillars. Which appear to be some sort of treated wood.

It's not harbouring a wasps nest, and they aren't going past it to anywhere else. They are definitely inspecting it, or finding something of interest there.

I did briefly wonder if spiders webs have some sort of attracting smells, as there are a few strands of older webs there at times.

It's not an issue as such (until we get stung). But odd. And happens every year.

Speaking of wasps, is it just me, or are they smaller this year ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Waps use wood fiber to build their nests, so possibly getting the wood fiber from the pillars.

Reply to
ss

You can normally tell because there are track marks on the surface of the wood where they have gnawed the surface off.

Looks quite pretty IMHO.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

But why *this* wood. Not the roof. Not our decking. Just the two upright pillars at the front ???

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Perhaps it's a bit softer, and they can get their ...um...teeth into it (or whatever passes for teeth in wasps).

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Likely because it smells like the wood that is easier to chew or whatever they do with it or something.

Reply to
John Angus

They also loved mining the paper and cardboard from my vinyl collection which is rather annoying. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's treated wood and so the wasps nest will last longer?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

(We had one in a cupboard in the spare room this year - it turns out the back is open to the thatch. That's another draught to fix...)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I was thinking the same, and definitely after seeing several small wasps on blackberries this evening, at a first glance they appear to be "normal". Will try and get some photos tomorrow.

Reply to
newshound

Ficam W will square wasps away if you can locate the entrance to the nest(s)

Reply to
Cynic