Screwfix Trade Counters - how do they work?

On 2007-05-04 18:49:08 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

As good as....
Stock codes 34071, 32712 for example

I thought you were going to suggest...
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 281
Mathew ;-)

The wouldn't be fair on olive. She hasn't done anything.....
Does any one have the tel no. for the Cambridge store? I tried to get it from the web and from screwfix but they cannot give it out!
The item I want is not available through mail order (sold out) but might be in a store but Screwfix can't check on their system or even find out for me. Not impressed with the customer service on this issue.

I'm not really surprised - there's probably no procedure in place for answering phone calls at the counters. And I'd not be happy if I had to wait while a checkout person answered the phone.
But you'd have though their central computer would have an idea of stock held at each branch - although it might not be updated immediately. Even Maplin manage this. ;-)
--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder *

So I noticed yesterday do B&Q. It told me no store within 50miles had the required item(s). Never mind, the local Machine Mart had a choice, not to mention their staff are much more informed than many at B&Q. I went in a couple of months ago for a set of needle files, couldn't find any, asked and the guy cracked open a box that had come in that day and apologised profusely that they hadn't figured out where to display them.
Peter
www.the-brights.net
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com writes

Despite the policy, if you speak nicely to the staff at the trade counter, they'll give you a card with their number on. It's called the Key Customer Telephone Number. I Use it all the time as the trade counter is the other side of town.
--
Regards
Phil

Like Argos - form filling and waiting and waiting. I've used the new one at Croydon a couple of times, but taking into account traffic congestion and the in store time, I've decided it's better to pay the delivery charge and wait a day for a delivery!
Peter

That is exactly why I have started using the trade counter. What a waste of a day waiting in for a signed package. Plus my last 2 deliveries had the wrong goods in them which was another day wasted waiting in for a package especially if you are in the middle of a job which I'd hazard a guess most folk are in when they need something from Screwfix.
On 04 May 2007 08:55:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

Like Argos as already said but don't be surprised if half the stuff you want is "still on the lorry" or somesuch. :((
EricP wrote:

I never thought I'd find myself defending Argos but - ou can order and reserve/pay online for collection at the local store. Or you can visit and order then pay via credit-card at a touch-screen console - no need for those paper pads and matchstick-size ballpoint pens any more.
--
LSR

In the last few months Argos have started operating a just-in-time delivery policy to keep store stock levels at a minimum. Twice in recent months I have reserved items online and when collecting been told they are on the lorry and something about the computer counting goods in transit as at the store before 5pm on each day.
I no longer reserve or use Argos unless collecting the next day.
snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:

One other point further to all the other replies - if you wish to return anything purchased at a trade counter they insist you take it back to that counter rather than collect in the normal way. This once caused me a bit of a problem.
Peter