Screw into mains cable!

This has certainly generate quite a bit of debate. I would like to thank everyone for their help and advise.

Thing two main points that really pi*&%d me off are the fact that the engineer didnt own up to what he had done. When he tripped the power my wive asked him what had caused it. He just shrugged his shoulders and said 'dunno', then relocated the screws! Then BT's unwillingness to resolve the problem. I know that no one really wants to work at the weekend or br called out (I've been there myself providing 24x7 callout), but if its something that they have caused (and it could be dangerous) then they should pull out all the stops and pay whatever it costs.

Can you tell me what HSE is and how to go about contacting them?

We found the details of the BT Open Reach CEO, so we will definitly be writing directly to her as well as sending in our claim to the compensation department. I was actually planning on including a claim for my time on top of the cost of the electrician and plasterer/ decorator. I spent from 10:30am (first call to BT) until 10:30pm (when the electrician left) on Saturday trying to get this sorted. I was going to put in a claim for my hourly rate * 12 hours. Does that seem reasonable?

Alan

Reply to
AlanC

Health and Safety Executive.

may have to dig a bit for a contact but I would think they'd be interested.

I would think so. Others may know a bit more, having done similar.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Paging Dennis, paging Dennis. Will Dennis pick up the white phone...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

if you tell an adult not to touch an exposed live wire its their fault if they do, if you tell a child then its your fault if they do. [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Yes, we all make mistakes, the serious thing is that the 'engineer' didnt report drilling through the mains cable and left it in a dangerous state.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

We had a car insurance claim after a Co-Op wagon hit my wife's parked car. As she had patients to see when we had to take the car to their insurer's nominated repairer, I had to take it and pick it up and due to their opening times, hire car company delays, getting the kids back to nursery once it opened, etc. it totalled around 10 hours of my work time. I billed that at my rate of £28 an hour and after querying it and me responding, they paid up. However, I was able to demonstrate an actual loss. Unless you could show that you would have been working if you weren't dealing with their problem, then you'd be lucky to get anything other than a very small goodwill gesture.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker