Scary Water Pump

Hi

The challenge is on!

What RCD? Plenty of places don't have one. For this experiment its a location with no RCD, of any kind.

lol, I dont think it would be extreme care trying anything like this :)

ah no, you misunderstand, its worse than that. In cylinder vacs all the air pumped by the impellor goes straight thru the motor to cool it. Not around it, thru it. That's how they use such small high power motors. So if one is used for pumping, the water goes right thru the motor mechanics and electrics from minute one. :)

conductivity tap

We got a 500 watt motor on a 30A fuse, 240v ring main. There is the question of just how much power would flow thru the water, I don't know. I spose if we dip most of the mains lead in the water we could at least cool that too. After all its only 2A rated.

Hehe, how much you want to bet? I say it can be done. And I'm wililng to post practical results.

I simply mean is it possible - not is it reliable, safe and sensible, just possible. And not for 3 seconds, but possible to empty the whole

1000 gallon tank. That's about 4.5 tonnes of rainwater. So I expect it'll need to run for more than 0.1 hours.

A big tank of rain water sitting next to a house. So, barely clean, no ducks anyway. Certainly not ion free.

valves. But

Hehe. What I mean is by plugging it in the mains and sticking the nozzle in the water. The really stupid way.

Well no-one's convinced me I can't do it yet :)

In case anyone's tempted, NEVER try this dangerous idea at home. Its really stupid.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

aspriator, FYI.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Washington State resident

Reply to
Mark Zenier

Ventura..

;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

cadavers hanging outside his shop, against the wall in the bright sun. The sheepheads where in carton boxes, and bargained as 3 for the price of 2.

Reply to
Frank Bemelman

Jesse or Ace? ...or perhaps you meant venturi? ;-)

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Its been done. If you have a compressed air supply there are some nice venturi vaccum cleaners. These are particularly handy if you need to clean up flammable dust (like gunpowder). Think about what happens when you try this with a shop vac and the powder hits the motor brushes. 8-O

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

You have just (re)invented the wet-dry shop vac. :-)

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I thought I'd continue in the same vein as the previous two posters by misspelling the one important word. ;-)

And, BTW, the answer is "freeway".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

P.S. Yes, this is correctly spelled for some of the offshore English-speaking lands, but in the US and Canada it's usually written as "carburetor".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I think it would work if you made the vertical pipe on the right much wider so its flow was slower than the horizontal pipe.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Shhh!!! Dyson might have a patent on it, and he'll be along with his army of lawyers ;)

PoP

Reply to
PoP

This got me thinking. Other than US and Cnada, is English an official language anywhere that is not an island.

Note: Yes I know Australia is a "continent", but please...

Reply to
Richard Henry

Reply to
John Fields

Hi, I think its time for some results... will let you know what happened.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

In message , Spehro Pefhany writes

Or .. venturi p'raps

Reply to
geoff

In message , Spehro Pefhany writes

Err ... and the name of this newsgroup is ???

And what exactly do you mean by offshore?

Reply to
geoff

In message , John Fields writes

You jest ... they can't even speak Septic correctly

Reply to
geoff

OMG - another IMM, ... irony failure

Reply to
geoff

At 240V you will blow either the fuse or the windings, Put a toaster or a kettle in series with it to limit the current, Or try running it from DC 24V or 48V.

Reply to
Michael

HA! ROFLMAO! LOL! ;O)

Could have done with a "nil by mouth" warning ahead of that one! ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube