Sawing skirting, how to?

I need to take a 6 inch piece of skirting off the wall, I cant take the length off as it goes behind a radiator (too much work). So need to do in situ. As its a one off I dont want to buy any special tool, so what the best bet for tackiling this. I can afford some minor damage to the wall if necessary as I will be decorating afterwards.

I have.... Circular saw, Jigsaw, Angle grinder, normal saw, tenon saw, chisels. Drimel tool, Elec drill.

Any ideas?

Reply to
ss

In article , ss writes

Tenon saw, vertical cut, ideal for the job, use short strokes (1/2-3/4") and protect the wall with a piece of hardboard until the last minute.

To make life easier you can drill a vertical line of holes about the width of the saw blade from the bottom of the skirting upwards for about half an inch so you're not trying to cut on that part of the cut.

Reply to
fred

Lever away from wall to make it easier, if you can.

Last bit can be cut through with a chisel.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Snap off a jigsaw blade so it only just goes to the depth of the skirting.

You can start the cut somewhere in the skirting by rotating the jigsaw along the line of the cut, and then moving it on. Use the blade with a pair of pliers to finish off the last little bit the jigsaw can't get down to.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did this using the dremel with a big cutting wheel in it. I had to put a sharp knife into the slot to finish the cut off, but it worked fine. Be prepared to cut at a slight angle so the dremel body doesn't foul the board. The result was very tidy.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

OK thanks all that has given me enough ideas to be getting on with.

Reply to
ss

I accept that you don't want to buy a 'special' tool - but what about a general purpose tool which will do this and lots of other things?

By *far* the easiest way to do this is to use a Fein Multimaster - or Bosch equivalent - or one of the much cheaper clones sold by the likes of Lidl and Aldi. They can be used for so many cutting, scraping, sanding, etc. jobs which other tools can't do half as well. Lidl were recently selling them for 30 quid. If you're lucky they may still have some.

Roger Mills

Axe:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Buy a 12" cobalt hacksaw blade, about 99-199p off Ebay for 1-2 as I recall. Duct tape to a short strip of wood if you wish. Stiff. Teeth go right to the end. Teeth are hard. Will handle the plaster behind the skirting without buckling.

An alternative is a floorboard saw because of the curved end covered in sharp teeth. Tape plastic or cardboard wherever you do not want to destroy as you will slip if using a floorboard saw.

Someone mentioned a Fein Multimaster & clone like Bosch ?PF180? They are noisy (bzzzz), you will rarely use it, but when you DO need one they are *excellent*.

Reply to
js.b1

Job now done... Tenon saw and chisel.

Reply to
ss

I have an oscillating saw for these types of jobs - its worth its weight in gold sometimes. I used it last week to take the end stop off some 15mm copper that I'd capped at the ceiling in the corner there would not have been another way to do it without it :-) type oscillating saw into the well known auction site and bobs your uncle - they are about =A340 and well worth having !

Reply to
Staffbull