sawdust, anyone want some ?

local firm has one of these in which they burn sawdust from their horse hurdle making business.

If your sawdust is

Reply to
Andrew Heggie <andrew.heggie

Am I all of a sudden connecting to a news server in the twilight zone by accident?

Arsenic and chromium are really quite unpleasant, honest they are. You really don't want to:

[a] bed animals down on wood treated with them or [b] burn said wood on a regular basis.

This is not namby-pamby greeny scaremongering - I laugh in the face of danger. It's just fact. They're nasty and cumulative. A one off burning won't do you any harm, but do it for years and you will release a significant amount of metal, most of which will deposit in the immediate vicinity. Don't eat those homegrown veg.

If DH's wood isn't cca, as he later informed us, then it's quite a different matter.

Reply to
Grunff

And he has, several times ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Was it one of your kin who was photographed doing masonry work on a high tower in Glasgow recently?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And I acknowledged that - but my initial post, before this information surfaced, is perfectly valid advice not some paranoid nonsense which deserves to be compared with worrying over car emissions.

Reply to
Grunff

No one I was aware of, there are clusters of Heggie's from Aberdeen down the east coast fishing villages then to Plymouth as my great grandmother moved with the fishing fleet. Also a cluster in Carmarthen, coalmen, I was sitting in Swansea General hospital when my fore and surname were called out, two of us got up to have our injuries seen to!

AJH

Reply to
Andrew Heggie <andrew.heggie

Oh, what a disappointment! I was sure it would be, your name being the only one I've heard of.

I shall say nothing!

Your grandmother DID move around a lot!

Does Jim know about this?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

yeah, as you say nobody cares. Not really dartford, but as most people will know dartford due to the thames crossing, as opposed to bexley. We have had one warning letter about burning our rubbish, but that was due to a school close by, we now only incinerate our offcuts and packaging on weekends. I would really much prefer to give them to the council so they can incinerate them and generate electricity, but they want to charge us somewhere between £40-80 per tonne for the priviledge.

At least bexley council have finally taken those aresholes that are thames water to the high court for their total and utter disregard for pushing (literally) shit into the air over a two year period.

I hope you live outside of the noisome fallout area of this repugnant practice. The practice is to make giant shit cakes, compress them to make them of the right consistancy to burn, either this side of the thames, or to ship by non-selaed containers by road over the dartford crossing to beckton for burning. last summer they had hundreds of thousands of gallons of excrement in open vats for months on end.. None of their new machinery works as it should, and should have been forced to close the plant until it did work properly i.e. no smells.

Another private company is really pushing hard for a massive incinerator to burn a very large proportion of londons waste.

i am only thankful where i live is well out of the way of the crossness area and the proposed incinerator. Just have a drive around thamesmead on a nice warm day, mmmmm, the nice sickly sweet smell of fermenting shit.

Reply to
David Hemmings

i hope we find somewhere soon, have around 50-60 large bags of the stuff now. The persistent heavy rain has ruined a lot, so no alternative but a skip for that when i get time.

Reply to
David Hemmings

No-one with any sense will touch it. If it has MDF, ply, walnut or even some tropicals in it, you can't put it anywhere near animals. If it's tanalised, you can't even burn it safely.

If you want to shift sawdust easily, make sure it's clean, and that means _reliably_ segregating out those awkward sorts.

Andy Dingley

Tanalised is _disastrous_ for raku (the copper gives all sorts of odd colours), and resinous softwoods are pretty bad for it too. If you want good raku, you also need to segregate by species (or at least separate hard & softwood) for the temperatures they burn at are so different. it doesn't matter much which you use, but you need to keep with the same sort so that you can develop a consistent process.

Some of my clean oak goes for raku.

Andy Dingley

David,

Ferment it and use the wood alcohol as fuel!

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

David Hemmings wrote: snip

Is *anyone* actually in favour of the incinerator? I can't see one single thing in it's favour, apart from the obvious financial greed of the proposed operators.

As for Thamesmead, 'nuff said really ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

It's actually a longer story than that and I made a mistake regarding maiden names. Being a fishing family male members did not survive long, after each widowing my fathers's mother returned to her mother, who stayed with her kin as they migrated with the fish.

Why, does he have a church door for people with my antecedents? :-)

AJH

Reply to
Andrew Heggie <andrew.heggie

More likely a boathouse door at Morecambe. but I'm sure he'd have a wry comment if he heard that story.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Andrew,

Perhaps you should re-post the story on uba just to see if Jim bites. It is an interesting tale so it will not be wasted if he doesn't.

Reply to
Howard Neil

Done.

Well, Chapter 1.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hello David

Dust is very bad for horses. Decent owners pay around 5ukp a bag for SHAVINGS that have had any dust blown out - and been magnetically screened for nails and crap like that. Anyone who cares about their horse won't buy "just any old dust", sorry.

Carpentry shop next to my yard used to use a have a small garden incinerator smouldering away all the time - any chance of that for you? Probably even burn in an pot bellied stove if you want free heating for your workshop.

Reply to
Simon Avery

The sawdust was not for bedding area afaik, just for drying up excessively wet area which his paddock was prone to.

Unfortunately a primary school backs onto the back of the yard, so only weekend burning is an option, unless i can guarantee very low smoke output.

We do our wood burning well away from area that have the remotest chance of ignition, we use old metal watertanks to contain the fires, which we allow builders to drop of very infrequently (they benefit from not paying to dump it, we benefit from not having to buy an incinerator bin)

Reply to
David Hemmings

noone who lives in the area and doesn't have a vested interest. Anyone who agrees to its installation, the board of directors, the scientists they have paid to give evidence and bent politicians should be forced to live in the immediate vicinity of monstosities like this for at least 5 years and then see where their vote lies.

Make the driving range and play a round of golf at the golf course quite unpleasant sometimes.

Reply to
David Hemmings