Rewiring cost + any recommended sparkies? (South London, Croydon Area)

Hello all you sources of DIY info, I have a (not so) quick question.

Firstly, can anyone recommend any reputable sparkies in the South London / Croydon area to carry out a complete internal rewire of a victorian terraced house.

Also, does anyone have a method of sticking a finger in the air and pulling out an average cost?

To give an idea of the extent of rewire required, the entire house is currently running from 2 fuses, half the house is running through a little plastic joiner block, I have found kitchen appliance flex used for the lighting main, holding a mains detector shows an entire wall as having residual current, basically, enough to make me not trust a single centimetre of the existing mains.

All the current sockets are surface mounted and I want them flush, with bucket loads in every room.

The house is a 3 bedroom, 2 downstairs rooms, 1 kitchen, 1 bathroom, 1 loft affair.... Oh, and I already have two, brand new, fully populated, split load, 15 way, RCD protected consumer units....

All and any help offered is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Seri

Reply to
Seri

3500 quid.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

And The MEB ( Local Elec Company) in Worcs will do it for that and not even chase the walls, all mini trunking only.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Not directly, but try at least three ECA or NICEIC approved guys.

Not as such, but you'd want to allow something in the order of £250 per board way for a fairly standard rewire.

Add alternative finishes, additional items, posh light fittings and you can easily push it up to over £500 per board way.

F'in L.

Make sure you pull the service fuse with something WELL insulated and heat proof! And, do it soon!

I'd rather take the risk with asbestos gloves, than dangerous wiring.

If you're going for white plastic fittings, you might just get it within the £250 per board way. Perhaps allow up to £300 to cover yourself.

That'll bring the cost down a bit - you'd probably only need one of them.

Two or three ring main circuits, One Kitchen ring main circuit. Two or three lighting circuits. Immersion heater? External? Dedicated ways for other stuff?

You ask, we answer.

Reply to
Humbletarotstar

Could you explain "board way"?

I think it might refer to each circuit that eminates from the consumer unit (e.g. a way being the downstairs ring, another for the upstairs ring, etc).

Sorry to sound thick but "board way" isn't a term I've come across previously.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Also, would be very rough (not as rough as my estimate though!). Some ways would be a upstairs ring main with 20 flush double sockets. Another could be a simple 3m run to a nearby electric cooker.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes - you're more or less there - each circuit controlled by an MCB.

Kinda - but there is a design element involved in it too - it is only ballpark.

Reply to
Humbletarotstar

Just a quick word of thanks for all the responses... has been a great help and is much appreciated.

will post and let you know how it goes (if anyone's interested).

Thanks again

Seri

Reply to
Seri